Installing Vista On 100+ PCs???

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by wii_man, Feb 13, 2007.

1. wii_man

wii_man

We have over 1500 PCs. Of which several hundred are 'Vista Capable' and in the future they will be upgraded to Vista.

At present we use a Volume Licencing Key for Windows XP which we then image on to all the other computers using Norton Ghost.

We use a piece of software call HD Guard which means that our ends users (pesky students), can delete or install as much as they like off of the hard disk but when they reboot it is restored back to when HD Guard was activated.

This means that if we want to update the machines we have to deactive the HD Guard software, perform the update and then reactivate it.

My thinking is that now Microsoft are using KMS (Key Management Service) and insist that all computers using this reactivate every 6 months, we would suddenly get computer suites all over the place saying they are running in Reduced Functionality Mode and we would have to rush out and deactivate the HD Guard software, reactivate Vista and then reactivate the HD Guard software!

Sounds like a lot of messing about to me and on top of that I gather we would need a KMS server!!

Think I will put our Computing Department off of installing Vista for as long as possible...

Has anyone successfully installed Vista using KMS? If so how did you do it and did it work OK? What will happen in 6 months time when they all want to automatically reactivate themselves?

wii_man, Feb 13, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. wii_man

Jason

From what I understand you are correct about the machine re-activating every 30 days, but It sounds like microsoft is the one who handles the the key servers?

Jason, Feb 13, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question