Installing Vista Business OEM 64-bit over a Home Basic trial

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by Asclepius89, May 30, 2009.

1. Asclepius89

Asclepius89

Hello,

So finally I have some extra time to backup everything in my old PC to an external HDD and move onto my new PC that I have bought a month ago.

It already has a Vista Home Basic trial installed but it has ended by now. It also has a couple of drivers already installed. However I have an OEM CD of Vista Business 64 that I'm going to use and I also want to have Vista to be in it's own partition. It's been a long time I had to format and create partitions so I don't remember much. And it was with XP then, not Vista.

I was planning to format the drive and then install Vista Business 64, but I've been told I can simply select an 'upgrade' option from Home Basic to Business and keep the rest as it is. Is this true?

I also know you can create a partition in Vista, but can it be created in the drive where Vista is already installed? Like for example it's installed on a 640GB drive. Can I split it and have Vista be in a 80GB drive while the other 560GB are in a new completely empty partition?

Also, in case I decide to format instead, should I do Quick Format or Format? I've been told the only thing normal format does is check for errors at the end. Taking in consideration that Vista Home Basic is currently installed is Quick Format acceptable?

I'm planning on doing this tomorrow so the sooner someone could answer these the better!

Thanks! :)

Asclepius89, May 30, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Asclepius89

WAW8

You didn't say if your trial version was 32-bit or 64-bit, but if it's 32-bit, then no -- there's no way to "upgrade" from 32-bit to 64-bit. If it's 64-bit, it "can" be done, but you'll have to try it to see. If the version has expired, it may not let you upgrade.

Yes, it can be created on the same physical drive, but you'll have to shrink the Vista OS partition first to make room and that can take quite a while to do. If you have problems while trying to shrink, check out the tips on the page linked below:

[url]http://www.howtogeek.com/howt...ows-vistas-shrink-volume-inadequacy-problems/ [/url]

Reformat erases the existing file structure, so you won't be able access any of the existing files after you reformat, regardless of which kind you choose.

WAW8, May 31, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. Asclepius89

Asclepius89

Hello I just formated my HDD and installed Vista Business 64 bit on a 80GB partition. For the rest of the unallocated space of 560GB I tried to create a logical partition like it is on my old PC, that had 30GB for XP on a primary partition and 200GB on a logical partition, but it's always primary.

It seems Vista now doesn't allow a 2nd partition to be logical instead of primary? Should I care in any case? I was just trying to keep things as they were in my old PC kinda.

Will my second partition still be safe if the OS fails on the first partition, even though both are primary?

Thanks!

Asclepius89, May 31, 2009
  4. Asclepius89

WAW8

You will need a primary partition to reinstall XP, but the data partition can be primary or logical, it doesn't matter.

Don't know what "safe" is intended to mean, but when you install XP, it's likely to write its boot files to the first partition on the drive, in this case, the Vista partition. So, if that partition gets corrupted or removed, you won't be able to boot into XP.

Also, in a dual-boot environment, every time you boot into one of the OSs, all the System Restore points for the other OS are automatically deleted. This is because XP's and Vista's handling of shadowing are conflicting.

WAW8, Jun 1, 2009
  5. Asclepius89

Asclepius89

Thanks! I'm not planning exactly to dualboot XP, as I have XP on an old PC already. But I see it doesn't really matter if the 2nd partition is primary or logical. Might be even better to be primary in case the first one fails so I can install another OS on the 2nd one.

Asclepius89, Jun 1, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question