Installing .NET 1.1 in Vista 5456

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Jason, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Jason

Jason

Anyone who has tried to install .NET Framework 1.1 in Vista build 5456 knows that it just throws an error during install. Aaron Stebner has posted instructions on how to work around this issue on his MSDN Blog. Click below to view his post.

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/07/06/658484.aspx

Jason, Jul 8, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Jason

Spoorzoeker

Why would you do that ?.

Vista had version 3.0 in it, so why bothering with 1.1 ?.

Spoorzoeker, Sep 9, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. Jason

blackhat

good point:D

blackhat, Sep 13, 2006
  4. Jason

dezza9995

I've noticed a lot of programs insist on installing the .net framework before they will install themselves. Maybe this is why.

dezza9995, Feb 14, 2007
  5. Jason

Rdog2000

Could installing .net causevista to slow boot? Also, is there a safe way to uninstall it if I don't need it anymore (i.e. just uninstall it like any other program). Or do I have to do something extra to ensure that I mantain system integrity.

Rdog2000, Dec 7, 2007
  6. Jason

cyclic

Problem is you do need it, it's probably the least known about thing installed by MS but it required for compiling and assembling all sorts of programs before running them, you absolutely do need to have it but if you want to you can turn it off, but not uninstall.

Go to control panel add\remove progs and click on windows advanced features on the left hand side, this will bring up a list of things you can enable\disable by applying a tick or not, in here you will find .Net framework 3 but no other version.

The problem with .Net versions is that whilst each is ostensibly an update to the previous version they also work as stand alone versions for some things, so having version 3 installed does not ipso facto mean that something specifically requiring a component of .Net 1.1 will be able to find it unless that version is specifically installed as well.

Last thing to say about it really is that it has very rarely caused any problems, I cannot see for instance why any of it would have any adverse effect on boot times, but I cannot say I can be absolutely certain of it.

cyclic, Dec 7, 2007
  7. Jason

MrMagic

There should be NO circumstance under which .Net on any version should slow down boot or anything. .Net is the underlying GUI interface for many many programs and it should not be disabled. Its only called on by programs that need it WHEN they need it. You actually should have 3 versions available because as Cyclic said, they are all supposed to backward compatible with each other but that isn't always necessarily true. You will now see newer programs installing version 3.5 of .Net as well since Visual Studio 2008 has just been released and 3.5 adds some significantnew interface capability specifically to support the Vista GUI.

Steve

MrMagic, Dec 7, 2007
  8. Jason

Rdog2000

Great info! Thanks. What if I installed 1.1 because a program asked for it and it wasn't preloaded. The only thing i see to turn off is 3.0 which I'll leave alone. Will the two versions bump heads with each other? (sorry if this is a dolt of a question). I installed several items for DVD authoring and .net 1.1 & now i have the 10 minute boot so I'm trying to see if I can isolate the problem. Right now the only thing I don't need is 1.1 because I'm not using the program that called for it anymore. But I'm afraid to just dump it since it is a MS program (even thoughI installed it)

Rdog2000, Dec 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question