Installing HTPC

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by MrMagic, Dec 18, 2007.

1. MrMagic

MrMagic

WAY OT I know but I need some ideas. I am in the process of installing an HTPC using an HP a1140n with Home Premium. System is hooked to my 50" Samsung HD TV. I'm curious, from those of you who have done this, what have you done about sound output. I have a nice Sony 5.1 surround Sound receiver that everything else is piped through.

I'd like to be able to use the 5.1 output from the audio card on the PC but I'm not at all sure what the best way to do this would be. My receiver is a Sony, can't remember model #, 650 watt 5.1 system with a 150 watt Kenwood subwoofer attached.

Any ideas on how I might lash all this up? Or, would I be better off to use 5.1 speaker system directly off the HTPC instead of trying to hook into my main receiver and subwoofer?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Steve

MrMagic, Dec 18, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. MrMagic

kingofnexus

What outputs/inputs do you have for sound currently? Btw i'm no sound expert, just might help someone who is answer your question.

I myself use my computer for a TV, have done since 2005. I use my 24" HD widescreen monitor. I got the sound hooked straight into my speakers. Theres no other equipment I have that needs the speakers, so this setup works fine for me.

kingofnexus, Dec 18, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. MrMagic

MrMagic

Well, the PC has the standard Realtek 5, single wire outputs, one for each speaker and and output for a subwoofer. The connections are there true enough but there is no way to feed 5 individual outputs from the PC into the receiver. The audio card does not have HDMI or any other type of interface so I see no way to plug it in to the receiver. The only option that appears viable but is is horrible kludge is to connect my main surround sound speakers to an audio switch that will switch my main speakers to the output from the PC or to the outputs from the receiver.

If the PC sound system had either an optical or a digital coax out on it I could use that to get sound to the receiver but it doesn't. As far as I can tell its either use a switch, or find a new audio card of some type that will allow me output 5.1 surround from the PC to an available 5.1 input on the receiver.

I was just curious what route others have taken when dealing with this because I'm sure it comes up to some degree or another for anyone setting up an HTPC.

Steve

MrMagic, Dec 19, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question