Installing from non-bootable DVD (URGENT!)

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by Zachary, May 22, 2008.

1. Zachary

Zachary

Hi,

I had a bootable DVD from a friend of Vista Ultimate upgrade or fresh install.

I had Home Premium pre-installed.

I upgraded to the Ultimate through "Upgrade" and it was successful.

But I lent the DVD to a friend, and I have now realised I want to reinstall.

I have a non-bootable exact copy of the bootable disc. I can start fresh install from inside Windows, but I am wondering if it will work.

Zachary, May 22, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Zachary

WAW8

Not a simple question to answer...

You said that Home Premium was pre-installed, so what model laptop or desktop to you have?

You said you "upgraded" to Ultimate using disk media, so what kind of media was it? Windows Anytime Upgrade disk? Windows Ultimate retail disk? Windows Ultimate OEM disk?

Also, when you upgraded, where did you get the new product key? Was it included with the media? Did you buy the media online through MS and they emailed it to you? Did the machine not even prompt for a new product key?

The answers matter because activation rules change based on them.

WAW8, May 22, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Zachary

Zachary

The Home Premium really has nothing to do with it, sorry. That was from way before.

I should have said: I have Windows Vista Ultimate.

I also have an upgrade disc, which I can boot from. Unfortunately, I lent a friend it yesterday.

I want to do a fresh install of Ultimate, but I have a copy of the disc I lent to my friend, which is not

bootable.

Is it possible to put it in now, while normal Vista is running, click "Fresh Install" and go without failure?

I have no key, when I used the disc before to upgrade, I did not need a key.

1. Will I need a key?

2. Will this even work with a non-bootable disc?

I did not obtain it from MS, nor did I pay for it. But it seems genuine.

Thanks,

Zachary, May 22, 2008
  4. Zachary

WAW8

Don't know -- there have been reports both ways (success and failure). Sometimes, it lets you overwrite an existing installation, sometimes, it does not. The ones that worked were those that did not have a product key entered the first time.

That's because the product is activated through a hidden table in the BIOS of your machine.

If this is the same "version" as is already activated (i.e., Ultimate), it will not prompt your for a key.

See first answer above -- maybe. But ... it should tell you very early in the process whether or not it will permit a reinstallation. What it won't do is walk you through the whole installation process and then, when done, reject what you've done.

The problem with it "seeming" genuine is that, with your machine's form of activation, it has worked historically with nongenuine versions -- something MS has gone to great lengths to "fix" in SP1 and some recent re-issued Windows Updates.

So, if it's not a "genuine" version, while it may reinstall OK, at some future date, it could very well be detected as "invalid" and be deactivated.

Sorry for the length response, but MS has made activation a complicated process now.

WAW8, May 22, 2008
  5. Zachary

Zachary

Based on what you told me, I'd say it's safe to install. I'll proceed.

Thanks,

Zachary, May 22, 2008
  6. Zachary

Zachary

Oh God,

None of that matters right now. When I start the install it says it can't find some (.dll) file, maybe it can be fixed but I don't care about it again. I'll just break the stupid DVD and wait for school tomorrow to get back the original (hopefully my friend will come). :crying:

Thanks, though, for the support.:D

Zachary, May 22, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question