Installing 32-bit Vista on a 64-bit computer?

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by bkkVista, Jan 17, 2008.

1. bkkVista

bkkVista

Hi,

Is it possible to install a 32-bit Vista on a 64-bit computer?

I am buying a new Dell Precision T7400 workstation with 4GB of RAM. In a few years, I suspect it will need more RAM.

I thought I should just go ahead and buy a 64-bit machine and install 64-bit Vista on it so the RAM can easily be upgraded later. However, the software that I will use on the machine are only validated on the 32-bit Vista. So I am planning to get a 64-bit workstation, but only install 32-bit Vista on it for now with 4GB of RAM. Later when I have to get more RAM, I can migrate to 64-bit Vista.

Does this plan make any sense? Thank you very much for your input in advance. Cheers.

bkkVista, Jan 17, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. bkkVista

WAW8

You can run 32-bit Vista and associated SW on a 64-bit processor with no problems, you just won't get an OS optimized for 64-bit support.

As to your proposed "upgrade", last I heard, that wasn't possible. To go from 32-bit to 64-bit, you had to uninstall the 32-bit version and install the 64-bit version. You might be able to save your settings offline and restore them after installing the 64-bit version. But apart from that, I believe you will have to reinstall everything else.

WAW8, Jan 17, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question