Installation: What do I do at the drive partition screen

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by firteen888, Apr 23, 2007.

1. firteen888

firteen888

Hey guys,

So I'm at the partition drive screen and I don't know what to do next. (The screen that says: Where do you want to install windows) Let me explain my situation. I'm currently running a version of Windows XP. I want to do a fresh install of Vista over XP. What option do I choose? Should I format the partition I want to put Vista on (C drive) ? I don't want to delete the partition do I?Any help here would be great! :)

firteen888, Apr 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. firteen888

kingofnexus

You can delete the partition and format it again if you want, there is nothing wrong with that. However simply choosing the partition where windows XP is is also fine. If you are able to upgrade from Windows XP it will ask you whether you want to 'Upgrade' Or 'Fresh Install' (this may also known as 'custom'). Choose the 'Fresh Install'This is an easier method and probably more suitable as you wil get a new fresh Windows Vista, and XP will have moved to a 'windows.old' folder, which you can access, move all your documents and pictures from it to your new Vista documents and pictrues folder, any other files, then simply delete the windows.old from your hardrive like any other folder.

kingofnexus, Apr 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. firteen888

firteen888

Thanks kingofnexus, I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff so let me understand. If I choose to format the C: drive (during the vista installation) will this get rid of my windows XP? I have all my files backed up so I don't need it on the computer once Vista is on there. I just don't want to mess anything up.

firteen888, Apr 23, 2007
  4. firteen888

cyclic

Personally to avoid any possible confusion or conflicts I would delete the XP partition then select that now 'unallocated'space for Vista, if it doesn't offer to create a partition and format for you, you can do that from that screen, then follow the few instructions there are until you get to enjoy Vista, clean; fresh and full of goodness.

cyclic, Apr 23, 2007
  5. firteen888

firteen888

OK, so if I delete the C: drive (during the installation process)that won't permantly delete it? I'm afraid that if I delete it, I'll never get it back again, then I'll have to get a new hard drive. Am I totally wrong?

firteen888, Apr 23, 2007
  6. firteen888

WAW8

Yes, the information on the previous C: partition will be destroyed when you delete it and create the new partition. What cyclic is telling you to do is to delete the C: partition, and then format a NEW one in its place. The new one will contain Vista and will become the C: partition after installation.

WAW8, Apr 24, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question