install on many pcs?

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by Twilight, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Twilight

Twilight

Hi all!

I' like to know if i could install the same copy of my Vista on all my computers or i'd have to buy a new license/key/copy for each one.
    I'm confused [​IMG]

Thx for responses.

Twilight, Mar 25, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Twilight

MafiaLord91

MafiaLord91, Mar 25, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Twilight

Twilight

ok, thank you.

But, if need to reinstall Vista? I'd need to buy another key?

Twilight, Mar 25, 2007
  4. Twilight

MafiaLord91

Not if you just have it on one machine. I think you can reinstall 25 times with XP before you must call to activate. It isn't a big deal just somewhat annoying.

MafiaLord91, Mar 25, 2007
  5. Twilight

WAW8

With Vista, you can install without supplying a product key, so in effect, you can install on any number of machines from the same DVD. The catch is that you can only activate on one machine at a time. With a retail copy, you can change the activation from one machine to another, but the net sum is that it's only working on one machine at a time.

So, yes, you need to buy a copy of Vista for each machine on which you plan to run it.

WAW8, Mar 27, 2007
  6. Twilight

Titch

If you are reinstalling vista on the same machine you shouldn't haveto much trouble atall. It's only when you try to activate it on a different machine(it's classed as different when you change the motherboard) to the original activated machine that you will start to run into problems. It's not really a case of it "can't" be done but rather it "Shouldn't" be done.

The rule of thumb is a copy of Vista should only be active on one machine at any one time! Although if it is an OEM version you "should" only ever install and activate it one machine if you want to keep it all above board.

Titch, Apr 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question