[Important] Internet simply not working!

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by xEmerald, Apr 4, 2009.

1. xEmerald

xEmerald

Hello, everyone. I need some help, and I need to resolve this or I might fail school. We recently just moved from an apartment to a house, and since the move my Gateway M-6318 (Realtek 8169 PCI, 8168, and 8101R PCIe Ethernet Network and Realtek USB Wireless LAN Driver built in) is not connecting to the internet. It was working fine when connected to an ethernet cable at the apartment, but wireless didn't work, but now at the house neither work! Cox has came down two times to fix this, but nothing. I have been playing around with it since the move, butno luck at all. It does not work wirelessly or wired.

Whenever it is wired it connects to an Unidentifed Network, but nothing else. The network and connection boxes are always blank and say, "Windows cannot find any networks or connections." Today I played around with the IPv4 Connectivity and it shows the computer as connected, but it will not go online. No IE, no Firefox, and no online games. I always get an error like "Firefox cannot find the file for ____" ect.

IPv4 Connectivity: Internet

IPv6 Connectivity: Limited

It also says that something called DHCP is not enabled, but I don't know how or where to enable that if that would be the solution, but many said to methat it is only for wireless networks.

Please help! If you need more information then I will respond and try giving it to you! If this doesn't start working then I will be in huge trouble. ): Thank you.

32 Bit Operating System, Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

xEmerald, Apr 4, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. xEmerald

WAW8

You're not getting an IP address. DHCP is a service through which a router, or access point, assigns you an IP address on its network. When you have a home router, it assigns you an IP address on your local network and it then connects to the internet. When you use an ISP (Internet Service Provider) and connect directly to them, their access point assigns you an IP address on their network.

You can open a command window and type "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes). If you're getting assigned an IP address, it will show up there.

When you were at the apartment, were you connecting directly to the internet (via a service provider)? Or were you going through a router?

Are you using the same service provider now as you were in the apartment?

Are you using a router now or are you trying to connect directly to Cox?

WAW8, Apr 6, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question