I want to switch vista installations...

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by fredley, Dec 3, 2007.

1. fredley

fredley

I have just got a new laptop, a nice Sony Vaio, and it came with vista home premium (I had no choice, I won it in a competition). What I want to do is wipe it and install Ultimate, which I have on my current laptop, and transfer the Home Premium license to this computer, which I will also wipe. Is this going to be possible? I have: A vista ultimate disk which i bought seperatly (this computer came with xp and I upgraded), a key for vista home premium which came with the new computer (no disks). I have heard that the vista install disk contains all versions, is this true? If so presumably I can enter the home premium code from the new computer. Sorry if this is a bit garbled, hope it makes sense.

Fred

fredley, Dec 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. fredley

cyclic

The only problem you may come across is any OEM BIOS protection for the one that came without disks, that will be an OEM version of Vista which isn't transferable, sure you can upgrade it to ultimate but according to MS licensing you wont be allowed to use that key to install that version on a different laptop, your retail disk is only good for one installation and despite it having the other version on the same disk the key you enter wont be allowed if, as it usually is on preinstalled, it's an OEM key.

I see your idea and yes it appears perfectly straight forward you've got 2 machines and 2 keys so you would think you could do as you suggested without much trouble but unfortunately the vagaries of MS EULA's (end-user license agreements )have got you cornered, you can only do what you want if you have 2 retail keys.

cyclic, Dec 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question