I have two Vista problems, might be related...

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Sniper, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Sniper

Sniper

Hello,

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition Dutch Version, updated with SP1 and all the patches/updates until today. However, I have encountered two problems lately, that might be related.

During one of the last Windows update sessions, one of the recommended updates was KB940157: Windows Search 4.0 for Windows Vista for x64-systems (11,8MB).

The update downloaded succesfully, created a restore point, but then during installation of Search 4.0, windows update stops and announces an update fail error:

Failed: 1 update

Errorcode: 800F0900

I've been googling this particular error code in combination with KB940157, but it doesn't bring up any entries.

Then later on, I discovered that when I go into the Windows Components window (via Control Panel, Add/remove software), the entire windows stays blank (first it says "Wait a few moments..."). This only lasts a few seconds then shows a complete empty window.

As http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931712 suggest, I did a Sfc /scannow

Sfc reported some errors it could not fix, and in the logs I could see that those errors were involved with the .NET framework and a Visual C++ version 9 file.

The scan didn't fix anything, I still have the same problems.

Does anybody have an idea on how to further track or solve these problems?

Thanks!

Sniper, Aug 19, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Sniper

WAW8

You've got a whole bunch of possibly related problems, with no single fix.

The sfc command can only repair Vista OS components; it can't repair other products, even MS products. You could try repairing those products individually through Control Panel, Programs and Features, selecting the product, and seeing if it has a repair option.

If not, you could see about reinstalling those products.

But then, there's the more serious issue about what caused the file corruptions in the first place. Two typical causes are drive failures (resulting in file system corruption) and virus/malware infections. The first can be checked using a Tools option in Computer for the disk drive; the second requires running an AV scan.

There's also the possibility that Windows Update got corrupted in the process. While that CAN be repaired (in some cases), it's a lot of work and carries the risk of destroying the Vista installation, requiring a clean install.

WAW8, Aug 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Sniper

Sniper

I had a problem a few weeks ago, where a defragment tool reported a problem on my system partition. After a checkdisk, there were some errors found and put in a Found.000 folder. Maybe this corrupted some important files? I'm not sure, since I have no other problems on my installation than those 2.

I can re-install Vista, but it's a pain in the *** to install a system fresh again when it's been only up for 2 months. I have some Acronis backup images as well, but I'm afraid the problem will be in there as well...

Sniper, Aug 20, 2008
  4. Sniper

WAW8

Anytime you have to run chkdsk and it creates a folder, there's the risk that one or more system files got corrupted. If you have Vista media, I would run a "sfc /scannow" from an elevated command prompt, insert the Vista media, and see if Vista repairs any files. That should at least fix any system file corruption you got.

WAW8, Aug 21, 2008
  5. Sniper

WAW8

Also ... look at the pinned post we have in this forum regarding repairing Windows Update. You may need to do that to get WU working properly again.

WAW8, Aug 22, 2008
  6. Sniper

quasar

quasar, Aug 22, 2008
  7. Sniper

Sniper

Thank you for all the help so far, but I have already tried to do a manual install of windows search for Vista 64-bit, same error. I have to say that the error messages & numbers are very hard to find anything about. Not good MS:cool:

with the sfc /scannow tool I managed to see that 2 files had become corrupted

the first was:

2008-08-21 22:58:08, Info CSI 00000283 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:44{22}]"Microsoft.Common.Tasks" of NetFx-MSBuild_Data_Files, Version = 6.0.6001.18000, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope neutral, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:b03f5f7f11d50a3a}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

which I solved by copying the file from an acronis backup image back to my PC. Now sfc /scannow doesn't give an error on this file anymore.

It still complains about the following files:

2008-08-23 12:38:46, Info CSI 00000261 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:22{11}]"msvcr90.dll" of Microsoft.VC90.CRT, Version = 9.0.21022.8, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope neutral, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b}, Type = [l:10{5}]"win32", TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

2008-08-23 12:39:04, Info CSI 00000278 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:22{11}]"msvcr90.dll" of Microsoft.VC90.CRT, Version = 9.0.21022.8, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope neutral, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b}, Type = [l:10{5}]"win32", TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

which seem the same to me.

I searched my entire system disk, and the only locations where I can find these files are at:

C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.21022.8_none_750b37ff97f4f68b

and

C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.21022.8_none_bcb86ed6ac711f91

I have re-installed both the 32-bit & 64-bit packages of the Visual C++ 2008 redestributable, but it doesn't change a thing. The files have no zero-length in the mentioned folders, so it seems ok to me...

Very strange!

Sniper, Aug 23, 2008
  8. Sniper

Sniper

Ok, seems that we found another culprit here that is the reason why windows search 4.0 does not install & probably why the windows components don't show up:

in the c:\windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log is the following entry after each windows update:

Mark store corruption flag because of package: Package_5_for_KB947562~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.0.1.1. hr: 0x800f0900

I downloaded the package Windows6.0-KB947562-x64.msu and installed it manually,

but it says: "this update is not for your system".

Man, how difficult can a problem become?

Sniper, Aug 23, 2008
  9. Sniper

quasar

It sounds like something went wrong during the Windows Update install process. Something got corrupted. Have you tried:

1. Run chkdsk and correct errors on all drives (no need to scan for bad sectors)

2. Go back to the restore point

3. Configure Windows Update to not update automatically

then

4. manual install Windows Search 4.0

I've had so much luck with restore points, I wouldn't hesitate to try using them.

quasar, Aug 23, 2008
  10. Sniper

Sniper

I don't know how long I have this problem already, so I'm not sure which point to restore.

I wanted to uninstall the KB that's mentioned & re-install it, but it looks like my update list is not complete either. Hmmmm, I'm afraid I'll have to re-install my entire machine again.

This sucks really... Never had any of those problems on XP??:w00t:

Sniper, Aug 23, 2008
  11. Sniper

Sniper

Forget about it, I re-installed Vista as these problems looked to far-stretched to fix it in good manner.:w00t:

Sniper, Aug 24, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question