I.E. will not work!

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by henrysmom, Apr 25, 2007.

1. henrysmom

henrysmom

my I.E. will no longer open any page. i get a pop up saying invalid address or else cannot display the web page or the page is not set up to establish a connection on port http on this computer. i have no idea what is going on. any help will be greatly appreciated.

henrysmom, Apr 25, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. henrysmom

Vester

Using the Menu bar of your browser, go to File and ensure that it is not set to "Work Offline".

Vester, Apr 25, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. henrysmom

henrysmom

no, it is not that.

henrysmom, Apr 25, 2007
  4. henrysmom

Vester

When you go to Control Panel | Network and Sharing Center, does it indicate that you are connected to the internet?

Vester, Apr 25, 2007
  5. henrysmom

henrysmom

yes, it does.

henrysmom, Apr 25, 2007
  6. henrysmom

Vester

The problem could be due to malware. Are you running an antivirus program? I suggest scanning for viruses. If you don't have an antivirus program, Avast is free. Also download and run Ad-Aware SE Personaland Spybot Search and Destroy. If any of those programs do not work in Normal Mode, start in Safe Mode (press F8 during boot before Windows Vista starts to load) and run them.

When you are sure that the computer is clean, then try to open web pages again. If you still have a problem, then follow the instructions given by Microsoft MVP rskinner in this post at AumHa forums.

Vester, Apr 26, 2007
  7. henrysmom

cyclic

An easier way to have all that done by the system is to delete your network connections as they are, reboot (important) then use the network wizard to create a new connection, read the instructions carefully as thy appear and make sure you tick the correct configuration for how your computer connects to the network.

Oddly enough malware and nasties don't usually prevent you from connecting to the internet it's almost a requirement for them to either transmit information back to wherever or more importantly to proliferate.

cyclic, Apr 26, 2007
  8. henrysmom

Vester

Concur. The connectivity problems begin with the first attempts to remove hijackers.

Vester, Apr 26, 2007
  9. henrysmom

henrysmom

i have no problem connecting to the internet and using mozilla, just cannot get my internet explorer to work at all.

henrysmom, Apr 27, 2007
  10. henrysmom

cyclic

Then having discovered that bit of info. makes me wonder if you have the other browser set as the default ?

It is not much understood by most users (no reason why it should be) but for all Mozilla's boasts and putting down of IE technology, it's a slim browser by comparison to download only because it uses IE core dlls to work at all and it's gateway components to connect, I would be interested to know of the result of removing every vestige of the infiltrator or Mozilla (you can probably tell I'm not impressed with it) and then run IE again after a reboot. If it then works you have found the culprit.

Another thought, there is a shortcut in Vista's start menu for IE without any plugins or controls of anysort, why I don't know (I know why I would use it but it's dangerous for the average user to dabble in the dark arts of unprotected surfing) If by some odd chance you were using that shortcut you would find most pages refusing to let you anywhere near.

Barring a complete reinstall and if all else fails try, running a full surface scan of the hard drive to remove any bad clusters as a cause of corrupt system files and if that still fails..........System file check run the command SFC/ with the Vista media in the drive.

If none of this works and for whatever reason you will have spent quite sometime fiddling and getting nowhere, this is not uncommon in a Techie type world at which point the only logical thing to do is a complete reinstall, it will fix any problems whatever they are and only take a fraction of the time you have spent so far.

cyclic, Apr 27, 2007
  11. henrysmom

henrysmom

thanks for all the good suggestions. i will try these out and if all else fails will just reinstall I.E.

henrysmom, Apr 27, 2007
  12. henrysmom

henrysmom

i don't want to appear completely ignorant, but how do i uninstall I.E. ? i have been trying all other suggestions to no avail. thanks!

henrysmom, Apr 27, 2007
  13. henrysmom

Vester

cyclic said
    I'm sorry that I missed your post yesterday. I didn't realize earlier that another browser worked. I agree with cyclic. Have you tried to go to Windows Update using Start | All Programs? That defaults to Internet Explorer.

Internet Explorer 7.0 is not a program to be removed from Programs and Features. (IE 7.0 can be removed from Windows XP and it reverts to IE 6.0.)

Do what cyclic suggested and go to Start | All Programs | Default Programs | Set Default Programsto see that Internet Explorer is the default browser as shown here.

Vester, Apr 27, 2007
  14. henrysmom

henrysmom

do i need to totally uninstall I.E.? i don't know how to go about doing this. i was also told this is not a good thing to do because it is part of the computer system.

henrysmom, Apr 28, 2007
  15. henrysmom

cyclic

You can't uninstall it, the suggestion is to make sure it is set as the default browser and if that makes no difference use the install DVD in the optical drive and run a system file check to make sure no critical files are missing or damaged. If you don't know how to do these things I am sure we can arrange some guided help (piccies and such) but if you could just bare with it for a day or so I'm up to my neck in sugar (diabetic-need to have my insulin adjusted) just now and can't use the 'puter for long 'cos I'm a bit squiffy, unless some other kindly soul (we have several at least here ) can guide you step by step I will start building a self help guide for you with easy to follow instructions and screenshots to make it clear, hopefully I will be able to post that Sunday sometime.

Meanwhile try 'googling' the term, vista system file check, it's almost certain that there already exists a number of good guides that you wont have to wait to see.

We will get you there.[​IMG]

cyclic, Apr 28, 2007
  16. henrysmom

henrysmom

could you tell me how to go about doing a complete reinstall?

henrysmom, Apr 28, 2007
  17. henrysmom

henrysmom

i am so sorry for the double posts. i have been so frazzled the last few days i did not realize there was a second page and i thought my replies were not showing up. i really think i need a rest! :)

henrysmom, Apr 28, 2007
  18. henrysmom

henrysmom

i ran the system file checker. here is what it said-

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]

Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.

Verification 99% complete.Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but wa

s unable to fix some of them.

Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]

Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.

Verification 99% complete.Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but wa

s unable to fix some of them.

Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

C:\Windows\system32>

henrysmom, Apr 29, 2007
  19. henrysmom

henrysmom

anybody out there have any idea about what this means?

henrysmom, May 1, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question