I deleted partitions need help getting os on d drive

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by bess99999, Mar 29, 2010.

1. bess99999

bess99999

Okay so I'm a neewbie I had a virus, where I couldn't even access the Internet so my brother told me to start anew and reinstall and reformat the drives. So I did put the disk in rebooted from bios and I then I deleted my partitions so now I can get them back just not the way they were. When I install I always end up with the os on c drive and my storage for programs on d drive how do i get it just the opposite.

Please help!

Thanks Bess

bess99999, Mar 29, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. bess99999

WAW8

Basically -- you don't.

The concept of "C" and "D" drive is basic to how the Windows apps install and operate. These are letters the OS assigns dynamically when your OS starts up.

IF you start messing around with moving apps to "D" and other things to "C", you will hose up the OS majorly and lots of stuff will stop working.

IF you're talking about two PHYSICAL drives, and you want to reverse the order in which they are used (i.e., second drive for the OS, first drive for data), you need to change their boot order in the BIOS -- so the drive you want to use for the Vista OS is seen as the first drive in the machine.

You would have to read the documentation that came with your machine to find out how to get into the BIOS screens. This has nothing whatsoever to do with Vista itself.

WAW8, Mar 30, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. bess99999

bess99999

Okay, so just for me to be clear I have to basically put all my programs ie Photoshop on c drive with the os and then use the partitioned off d drive for storage of let's say photos and music? If that's the case is there any point of having a partition?espically when I back up to a separate external hard drive? Other than it's better if I ever have to reinstall the os?

bess99999, Mar 30, 2010
  4. bess99999

WAW8

Sorry, misunderstood your question ...

What you're talking about doing is EXACTLY what I have been doing -- for years!

The values that I've found in segregating OS/Apps and Data into different partitions is the following:

1) OS partition takes less space -- making regular backups both smaller and faster

2) Restoring OS partition does not affect other partition in any way

3) Crashes of OS partition still leave the data accessible

4) Able to do on-line image backup of OS partition to much larger data partition whenever needed.

5) Periodic virus scans are faster because (in my experience) it's ALWAYS the OS partition that gets infected.

6) System restore takes less space because am not shadowing the data partition.

I also periodically migrate the older OS partition backups off to external storage so the data drive doesn't fill up.

WAW8, Mar 31, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question