I can't get my network up

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by dvsapp, Jul 16, 2006.

1. dvsapp

dvsapp

I've installed 5456 on both a laptop w/wireless, and a wired LAN desktop. My network has 6 PC's; one is setup as a file server. All comps are static IP. Linksys router w/DSL. The file server uses WOL, and goes into standby if not used for 1 hr.

With XP, I could have it search for the computer by typing in its IP address. I then would map my network drive, and reconnect on logon. If the server is in standby, it will come back up, and my files are there.

How can I get Vista to work a MANUAL network search? The network map doesn't show my layout, and WOL will not work. In other words, if the server is in standby, the Vista machines will not see it. I was able to map the server drive once when Vista did show it in the map, but after a reboot it could no longer find the drive.

Why did MicroSoft wreck what worked flawlessly way back in Windows 98, in 2000, and in XP?:angry:

dvsapp, Jul 16, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. dvsapp

Jason

Are you able to connect to the server if you type in the name \ame in the address bar?

I just tried adding a network drive in my Beta 2 and it worked fine, just went to my comp, right clicked, add network drive, went to add drive from internet/ip/network etc.. and hit browse, found my local network on the current domain and I could see the computer I wanted to get the drive from and selected it accordingly. If you cannot access any computers, check your domain or workgroup the computer is on, by right clicking my computer.

Jason, Jul 16, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question