I Cannot Retieve All My Previous Lost Files When I System Restore

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by OMGVinnyD, Mar 29, 2008.

1. OMGVinnyD

OMGVinnyD

Hello, this is my first time in these forums. I am running a Windows Vista Home Premium which came on my HP Pavllion dv2000 laptop. I went into safe mode to look through some random files and I accidentally deleted my files that were in folders including some program folders that I have transfered from my home computer. These files were located in the Videos, Music, and Documents folder which were deleted. I had over 1700 songs of music for itunes for my iPod Touch and I had some important videos and data I was going to use for future random home and school projects. I did a system restore to a point, a day before of the incident, and I had all my programs back. I had retreived only two folders in my Documents folder and none in my Music and Videos. My iPod does have all my songs that I had pereviously and that includes my videos and pictures. I do not know how to get my music and my videos and pictures out of my iPod cause all programs I try to download to retreieve the itemsinto my computer cost money to do a complete transfer and most programs do not help my iPod Touch. I cannot get my files back from a transfer with my old desktop computer because those fiels were deleted and I later found out that system restore was off so I cannot revert back to get those files.

Now, can someone please help me. I NEED not WANT but NEED those files back and I do not know how to. Can someone please help me and quick. Please and thank you.

OMGVinnyD, Mar 29, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. OMGVinnyD

WAW8

Contrary to what folks may think, System Restore does not actually return the entire system to a previous point in time; instead, it saves key system information and merely restores that. The actual definition is that it saves the "state of the system". It does not save personal data or documents. I've had several restores when I made changes to files, restored to a prior date, and the changes were still there.

So, you have only two options. First, you can check the recycle bin to see if the files are still there. Second, you can purchase a third-party file recovery product (like RecoverMyFiles or GetDataBack) that will allow you to scan your drive for the presence of deleted files and recover them.

WAW8, Mar 29, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. OMGVinnyD

OMGVinnyD

what would happen i if i do not have a debit/credit card cause im assuming they do not have this product in stores and at a cheaper price than $79 from the online website

OMGVinnyD, Mar 29, 2008
  4. OMGVinnyD

WAW8

The vendors may provide a free download that allows you to scan your drive to at least see if their product can find the files you deleted. Be advised that it will not be able to determine the actual file name, you will have to name the file based on your examination of the contents. The file name is destroyed as part of the deletion process.

However, to get the version that restores the files, you will have to purchase the product. We can't help you in that, and we don't provide any software.

WAW8, Mar 30, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question