I already have XP but want the full version of Vista

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by mr hobo, Jan 30, 2007.

1. mr hobo

mr hobo

Hello, I am asking for vista for my birthday. I already have XP, but due to several problems with my computer right now, I was going to delete everything on it and "refresh" it. My dad does this, and before I ask my parents for this I was wondering if it is possible to delete XP and install Vista on it. I do not want the "upgrade edition" thing. I do want the full thing. Also, I am a big computer game fanatic and I like to make and edit movies on the computer. Is Vista a good idea? Thanks you

mr hobo, Jan 30, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. mr hobo

Vince53

Should you switch from XP to Vista? You can go to windowsvista.com to download a free test to help you decide. It will scan your computer and give you recommendations. A lot of people have done this, and there are no complaints about the test wrecking you up.

Otehr than that, if you post what type of chip you have, how much system RAM, and the amount of RAM on your video card, we could help advise you.

Vince53, Jan 30, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. mr hobo

mr hobo

I did do download that program on the microsoft program saying that I can run vista on my computer. My question is that can I delete

XP if my computer came with it and buy vista from the store and install it on the computer. I would rather not get the upgraded version thing.

mr hobo, Jan 31, 2007
  4. mr hobo

youknowwhoibee

What i did... I had build 2600 xp w/mce and sp2. I bough tthe home premium, and had driver issues with little things. So i did a fesh install of xp home then used my vista upgrader to preform a clean install, then added remaining drivers and it is a champ now :)

I suggest using upgrade if you have a copy of home to fall back on.

youknowwhoibee, Jan 31, 2007
  5. mr hobo

mr hobo

so i should get the upgrade version? I heard that in the upgraded version, you can only install it twice before you have to buy a new one. Is this true?

Thanks for all the help by the way :)

EDIT: if that program said that i should get home basic, can i still get Home Premium and it still work on my computer?

mr hobo, Jan 31, 2007
  6. mr hobo

ericg

I suggest you use clean install. there are many sofewares which run well in XP are now incompatibility with Vista now, clean install you can avoid this. but if your hardware are not incompatibility with Vista, you should update the drive of them after installing Vista.

ericg, Jan 31, 2007
  7. mr hobo

jpfieber

You can get either the Full or the Upgrade version. If you get the upgrade version, you can still do a 'clean install' over the top of your current Windows XP. You can also wipe the disk and install Vista in 'eval mode' with your upgrade disc, then reinstall it again as an upgrade. A pain in the ***, but you save a few dollars. Note that if you upgrade, you cannot again legally use your XP disc. If you purchase the full version, you can use it to wipe the disc clean and install a clean version of Vista in one install, and you still legally will own XP, so you could fall back to it if you wanted, or even configure your computer to dual-boot, so you could choose which you wanted to run each session.

jpfieber, Feb 1, 2007
  8. mr hobo

MrSerge

I would suggest that you wait a few months before doing it.

I just did what you have in mind - what was the result? a big disappointment!

The big question is are YOU Vista-ready? Once you do a clean install of Vista over XP, you will very likely have compatibility issues with sound card, video card, software and hardware, etc. For instance: HP scanners will not work at all.

If you happen to have my 'luck' your sound card (Sound Blaster) will not work, you will lose audio and Windows Media Center will not even load because it cannot detect audio, Windows Media Player is the same, all your music will be worthless, and so on.

Do yourself a favor, DO NOT UPGRADE just yet!

MrSerge, Feb 2, 2007
  9. mr hobo

PaulW

DON'T DO IT YET!

Save yourself lost data with the Blue Screen of Bill Gates

PaulW, Feb 5, 2007
  10. mr hobo

Camride

I would recommend getting the full version. Since Vista is still very new if you have problems, or software that is currenty not compatible with Vista, you can still move back to XP and wait a while to move to Vista. You have to realize that with any new OS there are going to be issues, nothing is perfect out of the box. But, Vista is a great improvement over XP and with time will be a very solid OS.

:)

Camride, Feb 6, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question