HP Pavilion Laptop / 3945abg Wireless Card / WRT54GS Router / DD-WRT Firmware

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by g_mich, Oct 8, 2007.

1. g_mich

g_mich

I am having connection issues with setup described in subject line. I've tried everything to get the laptop to connect wireless, but after it connects, it disconnects immediately. I have several other wireless desktops that connect with no problems, it's just the laptop that is having this problem. All security settings are correct, all settings in the laptop are correct. Can anybody give me some help please...this is getting quite frustrating.

g_mich, Oct 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. g_mich

Jason

Is this an x86 or x64 laptop? Have you installed the latest wireless card drivers for you card, there are special Vista drivers on lintels website for that specific card.

Are you sure it is actually connecting for a bit, or does it try to connect and end up with limited connectivity? Are you sure it is getting an IP when it is connected for that short period of time?

Jason, Oct 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. g_mich

g_mich

All drivers, software are up to date. I can definately see the router accepting the connection, but immediately drops it. DHCP is enabled, all settings are correct in laptop/router, yet, still drops laptop connection only. Any thing else you can think of? I'am out of ideas

g_mich, Oct 8, 2007
  4. g_mich

Jason

How are you sure the router is accepting the connecting then dropping? Router log? You could try giving your computer a static IP. Follow the steps on this site:

http://www.trainsignaltraining.com/windows-vista-ip-addressing/2006-11-15/

And make sure you select the wireless device connection not the wired one.

You can also try un-checking "IP v6" on that same screen you use to enter the static IP just in case your router is having problems with IP v6.

Vista uses a new network stack from XP so there could be compatibility problems with one of the new network features and your router. Although that router is fairly common which is why this is odd.

Jason, Oct 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question