How to stop Windows Update service from using up too much CPU?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by dc2000, Oct 23, 2015.

1. dc2000

dc2000

When I open my laptop lid, it seems like it becomes very sluggish for the next 20-30 minutes. I checked the Task Manager and it turns out that the following service runs at a constant 50% CPU utilization:

vista-update-srvc-cpu-hog.png

and only if I stop it things come to normal.

Is there any other way to fix this?

dc2000, Oct 23, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. dc2000

Termingamer2JD

The same here actually, I think the process of updates has to do that, and it limits itself to 50% so that it doesn't use up all memory, explaining why it is so sluggish.

It's unlikely, but someone should be able to provide you with a solution (if anyone except me actually still posts here)...

Termingamer2JD, Oct 23, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. dc2000

dc2000

Thanks. Appreciate it. So far I can solve it by stopping the service. Although that's not a good solution. It's a shame too that Microsoft seems to have abandoned that OS.

dc2000, Oct 23, 2015
  4. dc2000

Termingamer2JD

I know it isn't a good solution, but the good thing is that MS did limit CPU usage to 50%, or the computer would be unusable.

Indeed. It's funny how people bash Vista, yet 7 is the exact same but uses blue and not green, adds and removes few features (very lazily for some removals like windows mail), breaks .zip decompression and a few other things.

Hope you find out how to stop it using so much memory properly, perhaps there's a string in the registry where you can change the limiter (most probably).

I was more referring to the fact this board was active and now only a couple of people post here.

Termingamer2JD, Oct 23, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question