How to split vista sp1 iso so that it fits on CDs

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by seamustry, Aug 9, 2008.

1. seamustry

seamustry

I have a Vista SP1 .iso which is larger than 1GB in size. I was wondering how I can split it so that it will fit on a few CDs because I don't have any DVD-R's but a load of CD-R's i have :)

seamustry, Aug 9, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. seamustry

WAW8

You could buy any of a number of ISO management programs, or you can Google for and download the freeware program hjsplit. It will allow you to break one file into a number of smaller files. You must use hjsplit to recombine the pieces back into the original file.

WAW8, Aug 9, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. seamustry

seamustry

No, I meant how to make splitted CDs so that I can install from them...

seamustry, Aug 10, 2008
  4. seamustry

WAW8

WAW8, Aug 10, 2008
  5. seamustry

seamustry

thanks but they are asking for money and i don't have a product key because i got the .iso through my school's software website.

anyways, if you know of a free way to do it please let me know or i'll just go and get a dvd-r :)

seamustry, Aug 11, 2008
  6. seamustry

WAW8

Undoubtedly, it CAN be done, otherwise, MS would not provide CDs to do it. But, it's not a simple process of "splitting" an ISO; it would require a customized installation script that prompts for the various different CDs when it needs to load certain files. That requires not only a special script, that also requires knowledge of where each of the different "components" ends up being stored in the set of CDs.

I don't know what arrangement your school has regarding supplying students with Vista ISOs, but there has to be someone in the administration that made the arrangements with MS. Since this is most probably a "student edition", only that person would have the product key needed to order the CDs. You need to find out who that is and have THEM contact MS about getting the CDs.

WAW8, Aug 11, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question