How to setup PPP on serial ports.

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by sjm2007, Sep 23, 2007.

1. sjm2007

sjm2007

The Windows XP network connection wizard allowed you to create an "advanced connection". The advanced connection let you setup a serial port as a network connection. As a network connection you could then associate an IP address with the serial port.

The Vista network connection wizard does not have an "advanced connecton" capability. When I try a dial-up connection the wizard immediately informs me that I don't have a modem (which I don't).

Therefore my question is does anybody know how to setup a serial port (e.g. COM1) to be a network port with an associated IP address?

sjm2007, Sep 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. sjm2007

cyclic

Very odd.

This post first appeared a couple of days ago and had at least 2 responses, where have they gone I ask myself.

cyclic, Sep 24, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. sjm2007

sjm2007

Hi cylclic. It's notas mysterious as it appears. What happened is I orignally posted this topic in the downloads forum (erroneously). That is where the two earlier responses (by yourself) were posted. I decided to repost this topic in the "Network" section which I hope has more visibility and hopefully someone who has encountered this problem has a solution. I pretty much stated this in my last reply in the "downloads" forum.

Therefore, the problem still exists. I am using Vista Ultimate and am unable to configure a serial port as a network connection point. If anyone has a solution, I would appreciate it.

sjm2007, Sep 24, 2007
  4. sjm2007

Jason

Jason, Sep 24, 2007
  5. sjm2007

sjm2007

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your response. It is possbile that this third-party software may work. I need to look into it a little more. However, I'm still searching for a non-third party solution. My place of work has a software package that requires the capablity to communicate PPP over a serial port, This package currently works with XP but not Vista. Our potential Vista customers would probably not appreciate the expense (and the hassle) of a third-party solution.

sjm2007, Sep 25, 2007
  6. sjm2007

Jason

I am not too familiar with the PPP protocol but it may be time for you to start looking into: PPPoe for you companys software (or PPP over ethernet) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PPPoE

Just a suggestion, as I cannot find anywhere anything which says much about PPP And Vista.

One thing you can try doing on your Vista machine to get old PPP to work is disable the windows firewall.

Jason, Sep 26, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question