How To setup PPP on Serial Ports

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by sjm2007, Sep 22, 2007.

1. sjm2007

sjm2007

The Windows XP network connection wizard allowed you to create an "advanced connection". The advanced connection let you setup a serial port as a network connection. As a network connection you could then associate an IP address with the serial port.

The Vista network connection wizard does not have an "advanced connecton" capability. When I try a dial-up connection the wizard immediately informs me that I don't have a modem (which I don't).

Therefore my question is does anybody know how to setup a serial port (e.g. COM1) to be a network port with an associated IP address?

sjm2007, Sep 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. sjm2007

cyclic

Only if you have a modem, otherwise it would be no use anyway. You could configure a COMM port to accept data from any source but not an IP address for which it would need to suppport TCP\IP protocols which it doesn't.

Are you likely to share the reasoning behind this unusual use of hardware ? I for one would be interested in the purpose behind it.

cyclic, Sep 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. sjm2007

sjm2007

Thanks for responding "cyclic".

The reason for this request is because I am working on a product that has an ethernet and a serial port. This product is managed by "pc" in house developed management software. The management software can be configured to manage the product via ethernet or via a direct connection to a serial port (i.e. pc serial port to product serial port). This software worked fine on a PC running xp where the serial port is supported by tcp/ip. However, on a Vista machine the management software no longer works over the serial port. I'm wondering why Vista would take away functionality that existed before and even more important how (if it is possible) to make a serial port an IP port.

sjm2007, Sep 22, 2007
  4. sjm2007

cyclic

You might want to check this but I feel sure that this is only true of certain flavours of Vista, it's to do with the ability to join domains and form ad hoc associations over a network, I seem to remember reading that the Business versions of Vista do support Comm port I\O in the same way as XP did and it's only the home versions of Vista that don't, but I admit this is only a vague recollection but it could be worth checking out.

cyclic, Sep 23, 2007
  5. sjm2007

sjm2007

Hi cyclic. Ujfortunately the version of Vista I'm using is Vista Ultimate (not the home edition). I'm going to attempt to repost in the Network forum where I had intended to post originally. Maybe someone out there has a work-around or "trick" I can use.

sjm2007, Sep 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question