how to restore .zip file association & file icon in Vista?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by markwithak, Aug 25, 2009.

1. markwithak

markwithak

My wife accidently associated Win Media Player with .zip files. Oops! Ok, now how can we get back to old zip files opening in Vista? ... And, will this work? ...<BLOCKQUOTE style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px" dir=ltr>

[delete this entry in the registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\
    Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.zip ... do this via "regedit" in the run box. this should set the zip file association back to the system default.]</BLOCKQUOTE>

Basically, just need to get back to default. Problem started months ago and just getting to address it. so no possibility to use a restore point.

tnx.

Mark (spelled with a K)

System: Dell Latitude D620, Vista Home Basic SP1, 2 GB RAM, Office 2007

markwithak, Aug 25, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. markwithak

chacha

I had the same problem (not being able to open .zip files) and I came across this fix which worked. I have also simplied the instructions below for you.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/...on-in-windows-vista-back-to-original-default/
    1. <LI>Click Start Menu, and then type regedit in the Start Search and press ENTER.</LI><LI>Navigate to the following registry branch:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\</LI><LI>

Scroll down to the.zip file and expand the folder</LI><LI>

Delete the sub-key named UserChoice.</LI><LI>Exit from Registry Editor.</LI>

Windows Vista will now use original file associations that comes built into system for the particular file extensions with “UserChoice” deleted.

chacha, Aug 26, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question