How to protect your information from your laptop if it was steal?

Discussion in 'Security' started by Wjklsfa, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Wjklsfa

Wjklsfa

There are some software to protect my laptop/notebook files in case somebody will steal it ?
    I want to retrieve the information or at least to delete it.
    If anybody know something about this type of protection please say.
    Thanks

Wjklsfa, Jul 29, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Wjklsfa

WAW8

The only way I know to protect info on your laptop against easy retreival is to encrypt either the files or the folders containing the files.

That said, once someone physically possesses your laptop, they can remove the hard drive, hook it up to hardware-based decryptor tools -- and in a matter of hours, have everything extracted from the drive.

If you're worried about folks stealing your laptop, check out Lojack for Laptops. They have a service that installs hidden stuff on your laptop such that, if you report it stolen to them, the next time the thief connects that laptop to the Internet, it will contact the Lojack servers, report the location to them -- and you will then know WHERE it is. This will aid in having the thief arrested and your laptop returned to you.

WAW8, Jul 29, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Wjklsfa

okayo0

I don't know of a way to remotely access the files, but these two programs are great for anti-theft.

Open source anti-theft solution for Mac, PCs & Phones – Prey

Here's a story about the Mac equivalent to Prey BBC News - Joshua Kaufman's Mac recovered with 'Hidden' app clues

TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux

Maximum PC | How To: Encrypt Your Entire Hard Drive The Easy Way Using TrueCrypt

Stolen Laptop Recovered! - LogMeIn Community

I hate just giving away links, its not very helpful at all but these will explain it all in more detail than I can.

I use Prey and TrueCrypt but I posted the LogMeIn link because you wanted to access your files

Hope this helps!

okayo0, Aug 29, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question