How to protect your information from your laptop if it was steal?

Discussion in 'Security' started by Unapvpfa, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Unapvpfa

Unapvpfa

There are some software to protect my laptop/notebook files in case somebody will steal it ?
    I want to retrieve the information or at least to delete it.
    If anybody know something about this type of protection please say.
    Thanks

Unapvpfa, Jun 17, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Unapvpfa

WAW8

The only way (and it's only temporary) to protect information on a drive is to encrypt it. You can go for full-disk encryption (which is risky if you have any filesystem corruption), or you can create folders and encrypt them.

Reason I say it's temporary is that, at best, they only delay access to the data. Once they have your laptop (presuming they actually WANT the data), if they are serious about it, they will remove the drive and hook it up to special hardware that will run brute force decryption algorithms against it. Depending on what they use, expect your drive to hold out anywhere from a few days to a few minutes.

BEST way to protect confidential data is to NOT have it on a hard drive but instead, have it on a USB stick -- and always keep that with you. And, while you CAN encrypt the USB stick, if it falls into the wrong hands, the problem is the same as with hard drives.

Also, consider LoJack for Laptops. That is a great service in that, once your laptop is registered and the SW installed, should it get stolen, you report that to LoJack. Next time it hooks up to the Internet, it broadcasts its location to LoJack, they contact the authorities, and the thief gets arrested -- and you get your laptop back! They also might have data protection/encryption services as well -- you should check them out.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
    WAW8, Jun 17, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question