how to get folder(s) to default to being closed

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by ken, Oct 27, 2007.

1. ken

ken

I hope this question makes sense. And....this really isn't a big problem.

When I open windows explorer....all the folders start in a closed state...except for one, a folder named "Ken" (with my login icon on it)

For whatever reason when I open explorer,that one folder isalways open revealing all the sub-folders. If possible....I want to make it so that it is in a closed state when I open "windows explorer" like the rest of the folders.

Because it always defaults to being open I either have to scroll to see the other folders or close it each time.

TIA.

Ken

ken, Oct 27, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. ken

shmengie

how do you explore? by right-clicking the start button? try exploring via my computer instead. but as to your question, there must be reg key somewhere that tells the window(s) what state to open in. you'd think it would remember your last view instead.

shmengie, Oct 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. ken

Rdog2000

I just got vista like 3 days ago so I'm totally new to it. Some trial and error led me to this (because I had the same frustration). With the Start Menu in the non-classic setting (this may work in classic setting too, not sure), openexplorer like you normally would. Left click on the C: drive (or whatever folder you want to default to) and drag it over to the start menu. Then you can append it to the start menu. That way instead of right clicking the start menu to get to explorer, you can just click the shortcut it creates in the start menu. Kind of a weird work around but when I use the short cut it doesn't default to the "user" folder with every subfolder opened up.

Rdog2000, Dec 5, 2007
  4. ken

kingofnexus

I fail to see the problem you having. All that you do is click start, then on 'computer'.

kingofnexus, Dec 5, 2007
  5. ken

WAW8

This is how Explorer works by default in Vista, there does not appear to be a way to change it to default to a different folder, nor is there a way to have the folder in a "closed" state. To open Explorer to a different folder, you need to point it to that folder and save that as a shortcut; thus, when you click that, Explorer will open that folder.

WAW8, Dec 5, 2007
  6. ken

Rdog2000

That's essentially what I did, I just appended the shortcut to the start menu. It's not really a problem per se, just a matter of convenience.

Rdog2000, Dec 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question