How to Enable S.M.A.R.T Tech

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Mustangman76, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Mustangman76

Mustangman76

Hi all

I have a dell pc...and the hd that it came with is S.M.A.R.T capable...but in bios there is no setting to enable it...does anyone know how i can enable this seting...thanks

Mustangman76, Mar 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Mustangman76

cyclic

Enabling\disabling SMART requires the utilities disk from the drive maker, it's a free download but you need to know the make and model which you can get looking in the system info app.

Just as an aside, most builders will disable SMART as they believe it can give a performance hit,depending on the make\model the manufacturers utilities may have a SMART interegator, the SMART chip cannot be actually disabled and will still collect data all the time it just wont report it.

cyclic, Mar 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Mustangman76

Mustangman76

Hi

ok my hdd is a FUJITSU MHV2100AH ATA Device.. and as far as i know there is not software from the oem..... but i rely on my laptop so i would like to moniter the hdd too see if it might fail....i downloaded hddlife but all it says is that there are no SMART drives

Mustangman76, Mar 22, 2007
  4. Mustangman76

Mustangman76

Hi

Ive got it to work..i forgot what someone told me on this forum is that for vista to allow a program to access system info u have to run it as admin..so i did that and it poped up with all the info..my HDD is @ 100% health...and it is curently running at 44 C....:p...i should of known....what dell ment is that it coulnd not be supported by the bios....but not the o/s....so now i got it fixed...thanks to all that helped...and for all your time...

Mustangman76, Mar 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question