How to Enable Concurrent Sessions in Vista

Discussion in 'Performance & Tweaks' started by Jason, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Jason

Jason

For those unaware of what it is, Concurrent Sessions allows you to Remote Desktop into a system that someone else is on, under a Different User account, and access the system without kicking the user off. I, for example, use the feature to have MCE running on my Television, and then I remote into my main user account to access all my files without interrupting my MCE session.

Before I begin, I can take zero credit for this hack. This guide is strictly consolidating information spread out over several pages over at TheGreenButton. A million thanks to Sunmorgus over there, for hacking the .dll to make this all possible.

Note, following these steps WILL MODIFY SYSTEM FILES, so proceed at your own risk. If you break anything, just ask for help in our forums though ;-)

Ok, so let's get on to the steps:

1. Download Sunmorgus' hacked Termsrv.dll file http://demayo.hopto.org/downloads/termsrv.dll

2. Now, Vista's security needs a little massaging to allow you to modify the original termsrv.dll file, found in C:\Windows\System32, so....

3. Click Start, then type "cmd" in the search box & hit enter. This will launch the Command prompt

4. Type the following & hit enter: takeown /f C:\Windows\System32\termsrv.dll

5. Then type this & hit enter (NOTE: Replace USERNAME with YOUR USERNAME!! If your name has a space in it, enclose it with quotes, like "Mike Garcen"): cacls C:\Windows\System32\termsrv.dll /G USERNAME:F

6. Then go to your Windows Explorer, and go to C:\Windows\System32

7. Rename the original termsrv.dll to something else, like "termsrv.dll.ORIGINAL", just in case

8. *NOTE* If you are unable to do the above, try rebooting into SAFE MODE

9. Then copy & paste the Hacked DLL you downloaded in Step 1 into the C:\Windows\System32 folder

10. And voila!

missingremote.com

Jason, Feb 16, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question