How to Create a Windows Vista Feb CTP Image - Quick Guide

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Jason, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Jason

Jason

<H4 class=BlogPostHeader>How to Create a Windows Vista Feb CTP Image - Quick Guide </H4><DIV class=BlogPostContent>

In this post we are going towalk through the basics of creating a Windows Vista 5308 - Feb CTP image. This will be a single partition image, but the concept here can be used for creating any type of image.Before you begin make sure you have downloaded the WAIK for the FEB CTP and theWindows Vista Feb CTPbuild.

<SPAN>Preparing the tools necessary:</SPAN>
    1. <LI class=MsoNormal><SPAN>Install WAIK (available on connect) on a Windows Vista or Windows XP machine.<?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p></SPAN> </LI><LI class=MsoNormal><SPAN>Create Unattend.XML using the Windows System Image Manager. </SPAN><SPAN>Note:We will cover this in more detail in a future post, but for now see help file included in the WAIK.</SPAN> </LI><LI class=MsoNormal><SPAN>Copy appropriate imaging tools to c:\vistawim.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
      1. <LI class=MsoNormal><SPAN>For an x86 image copy c:\program files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\<o:p></o:p></SPAN> </LI><LI class=MsoNormal><SPAN>For an x64 image copy c:\program files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\<o:p></o:p></SPAN> </LI><LI class=MsoNormal><SPAN>For an ia64 image copy c:\program files\Windows AIK\Tools\ia64\<o:p></o:p></SPAN></LI>
      </LI><LI class=MsoNormal><SPAN>Copy c:\windows\system32\XmlRW.dll to c:\vistawim.<o:p></o:p></SPAN> </LI><LI class=MsoNormal><SPAN>Create c:\vistawim\wimscript.ini that contains the following.<SPAN> </SPAN>This is an exclusion list of things not to capture in the WIM you add any additional files you wish. If you use a name other than wimscript.ini you would need to pass the file name on the command line with /config.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></LI>
    <P class=MsoNormal><SPAN>[ExclusionList]<o:p></o:p></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal><SPAN>Hiberfil.sys<o:p></o:p></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal><SPAN>Pagefile.sys<o:p></o:p></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal><SPAN>Boot.ini<o:p></o:p></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal><SPAN>"System Volume Information"<o:p></o:p></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal><SPAN>C:\RECYCLER<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<SPAN>Copy c:\vistawim to your WinPE CD or another location accessible from WinPE.</SPAN>

<SPAN><SPAN>Creating an image:<o:p></o:p></SPAN></SPAN>
    1. <LI class=MsoNormal><SPAN>Install Feb CTP.</SPAN> </LI><LI class=MsoNormal><SPAN></SPAN><SPAN>Install and configure any software you would like in the image.<o:p></o:p></SPAN> </LI><LI class=MsoNormal><SPAN>Install Unattend.XML to sysprep folder.<o:p></o:p></SPAN> </LI><LI class=MsoNormal><SPAN>Right click c:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe and select Run elevated.<o:p></o:p></SPAN> </LI><LI class=MsoNormal><SPAN>Click Allow on theConsent Dialog.<o:p></o:p></SPAN> </LI><LI class=MsoNormal><SPAN>Select Generalize and Select Shutdown in the dropdown and click Okay.<o:p></o:p></SPAN> </LI><LI class=MsoNormal><SPAN>Reboot machine into WinPE<o:p></o:p></SPAN> </LI><LI class=MsoNormal>Create a C:\Image folder if one does not exist </LI><LI class=MsoNormal><SPAN>ximage /capture c: c:\image\image.wim “My 5308 Image”</SPAN></LI>
    <P class=MsoNormal><SPAN>Optionally, split the WIM (4000 is under 4GB andfits comfortably on a DVD):<o:p></o:p></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal><SPAN><SPAN>·<SPAN> </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN><SPAN>ximage /split c:\image\image.wim c:\image\split.swm 4000</SPAN><P class=MsoNormal><SPAN>Note: you will need about half as much free space as the amount of data on the drive.</SPAN><P class=MsoNormal><SPAN><o:p></o:p></SPAN>
    1. <LI class=MsoNormal><SPAN>Reboot into OS. This completes the mini-setup<o:p></o:p></SPAN> </LI><LI class=MsoNormal><SPAN>Burn the image to a DVD.</SPAN></LI>
    <SPAN><o:p></o:p><P class=MsoNormal><SPAN>Deploying an image:<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
    1. <LI class=MsoNormal><SPAN>Boot into WinPE.</SPAN> </LI><LI class=MsoNormal><SPAN>Parti

Jason, Mar 11, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Jason

manikm

Thanks very much for the guide! I've just tried following it, and came a bit stuck in place. I was hoping you can help me.

Sorry if its lengthy, im sure some of the answers are very "noddy" and easy....sorry for the length of the thread, but im sure it might help loads of people in the same boat.

THANKYOU for your patience.

The numbers should correspond to the numbers in your guide to make things easier.

Preparing the tools neccessary:

1. I installed WAIK onto my XP workstation - check.

2. I think i've created an Unattend.XML - question - am i correct incopying the install.wim from the DVD to somewhere on my c: drive? then from within Windows System Image Manager,I just select the .Wim and edit it to create an answer file.xml ?

3. Copy the tools - Copied the files ok - check.

4.Copy XmlRW.dll to c:\vistawim - question -I could not find a XmlRW.dll on either my XP or Vista machine (yes i do have hidden files etc switched on) - i ended up downloading it from a website. (a 2004 version)

5. Create Wimscript.ini - check.

5a. Exclusion list - check

5b. Copy c:\vistawim toWinPE CD- question - WinPE will bea CD-ROM - so howcan you copy this over - how is itpossible? If so, what should the structure of the cd look like....do i put the contents of the folder into the root of the cd - or literally copy the folder called "vistawim" over - is this done inNero or Windows Explorer?

eg.

\root of cd

\files...

or

\root of cd

\vistamwim

\files....

Creating an image:

1. Install Feb CTP - Check

2. Install any software - Check.

3. Install Unattend.Xml to sysprep folder - Now, where should this go c:\sysprep of the vista machine im setting up- whereare the Vista Sysprep files?

4. Check

5. Check

6. check

7. Check.

8. Check

9. Check

Ok with everything here.

Deploying an Image

1. Boot into WinPE - Check

2. Partition drive as desired with diskpart - question - is the "diskpart" commandpart of the WinPE CD ?

Think thats it!!!!

THANKYOU once again!!!

manikm, Apr 27, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question