how to block "steam" program

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by MamaDee66, Sep 24, 2010.

1. MamaDee66

MamaDee66

Does anyone use the program "steam"? My son uses it for getting games and instant messaging his friends. It needs an internet connection, but doesn't require you use your browser (ours is Firefox). We have DSL.

Is there any way through windows or in general to block this from working temporarily? I block his internet during the day but he can use his windows account to do schoolwork on word or use CDs or whatever. But even with internet blocked, steam will work....using whatever connection it uses.

Is there any way to block this? I'm tired of him doing "math" and having the steam chat box in the background to distract him.

Thanks,

Dee

MamaDee66, Sep 24, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. MamaDee66

Ian Administrator

There are a few parental control applications which will allow you to set rules for individual applications (i.e. Steam will only work for certain hours per day).

How are you blocking the internet at the moment? Steam uses the same connection to communicate :).

Ian, Sep 24, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. MamaDee66

MamaDee66

We use Net Nanny and windows parental controls.

Net Nanny is aware of steam...but has no capacity to monitor it....I haven't asked them if I could block it through them. But I didn't see that option in using Net Nanny's tools. I'll ask to be sure, though.

Also, in looking through windows parental controls, I saw no option to block a specific program like that.

I thought there might be something else.

Thanks,
    Dee

MamaDee66, Sep 24, 2010
  4. MamaDee66

Ian Administrator

You should be able to block specific applications (including steam) using Windows Parental Controls, but I don't know if you can do it so that it only blocks the application at certain times.

This link explains a little more on how to add a specific application:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial139.html#programs

The steam app location should be similar to : C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe

Ian, Sep 25, 2010
  5. MamaDee66

MamaDee66

Thanks. I looked at the tutorial you had. I thought there must be a way to block websites.....but....

my parental controls don't look like in the tutorial.

The "windows vista web filter" section is missing on mine. That's where the ability to block a website is. Maybe I need to update parental controls? I recently switched from 64 bit to 32 bit....could this have any affect on parental controls.

I swear the windows vista web filter used to be there....but it's not now.

Dee

MamaDee66, Sep 25, 2010
  6. MamaDee66

Ian Administrator

I don't think that going from 64 > 32 bit would make a difference to parental controls, but to block Steam you don't need the web filter section - just the bit where it says "Allow and Block Specific Programs". I wonder if Net Nanny has disabled the web filter section, because it takes over those duties.

Ian, Sep 25, 2010
  7. MamaDee66

MamaDee66

I saw the "allow and blocked specific programs" section. But when I click on it my only options are "can use ALL programs" or "can use the programs I allow." There is NO section to just block certain programs. I did click on "can use the programs I allow" and checked everything to be o.k.....then I unchecked those having to do with steam.

We'll see if that works......but will it only allow those programs on the list now? What if he gets a new program? Will that automatically be blocked now?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
    MamaDee66, Sep 26, 2010
  8. MamaDee66

Ian Administrator

Yes, it looks like any new app would need to be added to the allow list - so it's not an ideal solution. I'm sure there will be other software available that would give you greater control... the other option would be to pull the internet cable out of the PC ;)

Ian, Sep 26, 2010
  9. MamaDee66

loptop125

Help me please.

My brother used this and hole bunch of other websites to block my steam with parental guidance settings on my computer and my router. Can anyone please help me fix this. He did it because he ripped his shirt.

loptop125, Jan 7, 2014
  10. MamaDee66

Alister

As people said before, there are plenty of parental software that would help you with this steam issue. I personally can recommend you NetNanny. It's probably the best program right now. You can also try PCWebControl or PCPandora.

Cheers :)

Alister, Mar 28, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question