How do I reinstall Vista w/Anytime Upgrade

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by theminhb, Mar 1, 2007.

1. theminhb

theminhb

Here is my thing. I had Home Premium, then purchased Vista Ultimate from windows market place using my Windows Anytime Upgrade DVD. So I have Ultimate now, I have issues and want to reinstall Ultimate over current Ultimate. Like we could in XP.

Can this be done without doing a Clean Install?

theminhb, Mar 1, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. theminhb

cyclic

You serpently can friend, just pop the DVD in the drive, this HAS to be done from within Vista not by booting to the DVD, the setup prog should launch if you have autorun enabled, if not run setup.exe from the DVD. The setup prog will tell you about the current install but give you the option to 'upgrade', it's called this even if it is an in place re-install and provided you select the same drive to install to it will simply overwrite the system files but not any data or other files, when it's done you will likely find a folder on the root of the drive called windows~old or similar, this is safe to delete as Vista has no way of recovering any of them anyway (not sure why it saves them really) I hav'n't done this yet so I would advise making an image of the drive before deleting the crap, just in case.

Once the install has done and you have rebooted to the renewed version you shouldn't need to activate again, unless you made some major hardware change too.

The same applies when you want to upgrade from the Premium to Ultimate, unless you fancy a clean install for some reason, personally I would just do it as above, the only thing that upgrade is doing is exactly that, adding to what's already there unless you want to use 'bitlocker' drive encryption, then you need a fresh install.

cyclic, Mar 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. theminhb

theminhb

cyclic, I did that but the Upgrade Option is greyed out so its not an option. My only option is Clean install.

Its says upgrade is disabled, cannot do Ultimate to Home Premium. So it wants me to install Home Premium.

Here is how I got to Ultimate from Home Premium. I went to windowsmarketplace and purchased the upgrade, it installed a little something then I had to put the Windows Anytime Upgrade DVD in, went through the motions and upgraded to Ultimate.

So for now, it appears as if I cannot access the Ultimate install from DVD, rather it wants me to do Home Premium. Any other suggestions?

theminhb, Mar 2, 2007
  4. theminhb

cyclic

So you want to 'downgrade' from Ultimate to Home Premium? clearly it wont let you do that but forgive me I don't understand what exactly it is that you are trying to acheive, you upgraded from premium to ultimate OK? so why do you want to reinstall.?

cyclic, Mar 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question