How do I prevent a User From Adding Desktop Icons???

Discussion in 'Sidebar & GUI Customization' started by Isthmus, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Isthmus

Isthmus

Hi, I'm modifying vista home premium for a friend who is a major Luddite. I'm trying to simplify the system, automate updates and security, and lock her out of the desktop so that she is forced to use her Home folder to store her files. She has basically been using her computer like an appliance, installing everything in sight; never uninstalling anything; letting every single program that wants to not just run on start up; but also run in the background; and generally keeping the computer like a giant junk pile. Her desktop had so many icons you couldn't even see the wallpaper. Of course, by the time she called me she couldn't comprehend why the computer hardly worked any more.

Anyhow, I have reworked her system to run very lean and added an app-dock in order to keep the software she actually uses right where she can see it. I've also moved all her files to her home folder and made the download folder her default download location for everything. I added launchers for her Home, Documents, Pictures, Music and Downloads to the app-dock. The idea is to force her to keep her stuff organized, but also keep it easily accessible.

Attached below is a screencap of what the desktop looks like now.

Now what I want to do is lock the system the way it is now. I know how to change her account permissions so that she no longer has admin rights. I also know how to lock the wallpaper so that it can't be changed. What I want to do now is lock the desktop so that she can no longer add any icons (files or shortcuts) to it (so that she is forced to use the app-dock and the home folder). Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
    Isthmus, Nov 16, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Isthmus

clifford_cooley

Hi Isthmus - Welcome to vistaforums

I'm not aware of a way to lock desktop and prevent a user from adding icons but you can try this as a possible solution.

Right click on desktop select "View" and then "Show Desktop Icons".

This is not exactly what you are asking for but will essentially hide all desktop icons even those added later.

clifford_cooley, Nov 16, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Isthmus

Isthmus

Thanks Clifford. I was hoping to not do this, as knowning her she will start adding icons and then wonder where they all went. she won't be able to see her additions, but I guarantee that she'll add a ton. Thanks anyway.

Isthmus, Nov 16, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question