How come I can use an ethernet cable chord...

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by Southern_Smoke, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Southern_Smoke

Southern_Smoke

to connect to the internet, but not wireless? I have other laptops in my house that are connecting to the wireless router that we have, but this one (Dell Inspiron 1545) will not. I have to use a ethernet cable chord. Anyway I can fix this problem? It use to run on wireless fine, but for some reason it stopped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Corey.

Southern_Smoke, Jan 23, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Southern_Smoke

WAW8

Because the wired connections are unaffected by any security that you have applied to the wireless setup.
    Using one of the other working laptops, check the security settings from the laptop side -- what kind (WEP, WPA, WPA2) and what passphrase is required.

Then, check the Vista laptop and see if it's using the same security settings and passphrase.

Also, check your wireless security and see if you have MacAddress filtering enabled. If you do, confirm that the Vista laptop address is in the list of allowed clients. IF you do not, once you get the Vista access working again, you need to turn ON MacAddress filtering.

Also, on the Vista laptop, check firewall settings. This is often the primary culprit.

WAW8, Jan 23, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question