Hoping for help with dreaded "Sonic Studio DLA" upgrade gotcha

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by jjbunn, Jul 11, 2007.

1. jjbunn

jjbunn

I cannot upgrade my Dell Optiplex XP Pro system to Vista since the compatibility phase of the upgrade fails with the following message:

"You must make the following changes before installing Windows

Close Windows installation, go to Programs, and uninstall the following programs:

o Sonic Studio DLA"

But I do not have any Sonic or Roxio software installed on the system! A search on the Registry turns up nothing from Sonic or Roxio. There is nothing from either vendor in Add/Remove programs. I also do not have IBM DLA on the system (the Microsoft Knowledge Base mentions IBM DLA as being the cause of my problem).

I've been to the Roxio site and installed their d2d3290.exe update for Dell, but this makes no difference, installed or deinstalled.

What else can I do to remove this phantom incompatibility?

Thanks!

jjbunn, Jul 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. jjbunn

AmericanNightmare

I ran into a very similar issue not so long ago a freind of mine was trying to upgrade his PC but kept getting the same message as you the only difference it was Nero thatVista was insisting on removing a search of the registry turned up nothing as well as there being no entry for it in add/remove. However when i did a keyword search for Nero looking in all files and folders including hidden ones several Nero files turned up one being the uninstall application itself. By manually removing all of them i was ableto then upgrade no problem. I know this sounds rather elementry and you very well may have tried this but it's all i got right now.

You could always do a clean install with your upgrade media but you would have to wipe your drive and start fresh and i imagine you would rather not take that route.

AmericanNightmare, Jul 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. jjbunn

cyclic

You do have Roxio software installed but you wont find it in add\remove, both XP and Vista's native CD burning engine is in fact Roxio's winaspi layer, you can't remove it but your sure as hell can disable it, go to services.msc (type into 'run' line) then stop and diasble CD burning support\AMAPI, with this diabled restart so that the winaspi layer files are no longer loaded as a service, the update should now work ok, it is only failing as it cannot update those files becuase they are technically 'in use' because theyre loaded as a service on startup.

Just as a BTW I always, but always disable that service on every XP\Vista install I've ever done it cause nothing but problems and provided you install a burner program like Nero (recomended) you'll never need the native burning support.

cyclic, Jul 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question