Home Premium nor Business sees my USB drive anymore

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Dallas Vette, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Dallas Vette

Dallas Vette

...and I have no flippin idea why. Was using it just fine, even setting folder shortcuts in Explorer. If I go back to XP, it works just fine with the exact same hardware in the same computer. Last thing I remember with one of the PCs was I launched a program installation exe file from the USB drive. I re-plug it in, get the 'ba-dink' sound but can't see any of the drives in Explorer or find a way to access anything. :angry:

Dang, just realized this thread don't belong here....sry

Dallas Vette, Apr 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Dallas Vette

Walker

Try changing which USB it is plugged into. Also happened to me. seems to be an issue with WMP taking it as a MP 3 player.

Walker, Apr 24, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Dallas Vette

ptco911

I also had a problem similar to that. My registry apparently got corrupted. Fortunately I had done a complete computer backup two days prior. Reloaded from image and everything works fine.

ptco911, May 29, 2007
  4. Dallas Vette

Omar

Walker is correct. Thats the same issue I had with mine :)

Omar, May 30, 2007
  5. Dallas Vette

MrMagic

Ok Guys, try this. I've found it useful in situations exactly like what you are describing. This allows you to delete devices, especially USB devices that have at one time or another been inserted in a slot and seem to hang up Vista and keep it from recognizing something else plugged into the same port.

1. Open a DOS box

2. Type: set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

3. CD to \windows\system32

4. type: start devmgmt.msc

5. When the device manager starts, click the box to show hidden devices.

Now go down and open all your USB trees and you will see an entry for every device that has been plugged into a port but may not be plugged in at this time. Uninstall the ones that are shown as not present.

Now re-insert your usb drive and it will probably work.

Steve

MrMagic, Jun 26, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question