Home Basic to Premium, Quick Questions

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by carisj, Feb 13, 2008.

1. carisj

carisj

Hey Guys,

I just had a couple of quick questions.

Firstly, I am currently using vista home basic on my pc, however i recently upgraded the ram to 2.5 gig, i am using a 7100gs graphics card, not the greatest but its ok for wat i need. anyway my question is will home premium run well on this setup. the processor is a 3.06ghz p4.

Secondly, i have a vista ultimate CD, if i was to do this upgrade would i have to start from scratch with everything or would the update keep all my files.

Thanks

carisj, Feb 13, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. carisj

WAW8

Home premium will work fine on the system you describe. 3GHz+ CPU and 2.5GB of memory is more than enough.

Regarding the upgrade -- did the machine come preinstalled with Vista? (in which case, brand is it?) Or, did you install Vista yourself. The answer is important because it involves licensing terms.

WAW8, Feb 13, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. carisj

carisj

thanks for the reply, it came with windows xp and i installed vista home basic on it using a family copy of ultimate, now with the extra memorhy i was wishing to upgrade,

thanks

carisj, Feb 14, 2008
  4. carisj

WAW8

How did you install Basic from an Ultimate DVD? Did you just not use a product key? Keys are version specific.

People have run into major problems doing this, but they were attempting to upgrade a vendor-preinstalled machine (using one licensing scheme) using a purchased DVD (using a very different licensing scheme). Not heard of any of those situations that have worked.

But since you installed Vista yourself using a DVD, you SHOULD be able to be able to insert the DVD and upgrade to Ultimate, provide the Ultimate product key -- and be OK. You should not lose any settings, files, or programs.

But to be safe, I would back off all personal data and files to external storage (8GB USB sticks now cost $20).

WAW8, Feb 14, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question