Hit and Miss with DVD Drives in Vista

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by SwiftImmortal_1, Apr 3, 2008.

1. SwiftImmortal_1

SwiftImmortal_1

I have a Lite-On DVD burner that's about 2 years old. For a while now whenever I put any type of disc in it (CD, CD-R, DVD, DVD-R, etc.), Vista treats it as though it were blank. In the drive properties it shows that there is information on the disc, but when I try to access it, it comes up with "prepare this blank disc." I've done a firmware update that I got from the Lite-On website that was supposed to fix the issue, but no luck. I also have a Pioneer USB DVD drive that works perfectly on any other system I use it on, but it gives me the same crap. Sometimes when I'm persistent enough, I can eject the disc enough times that it will eventually let me explore the drive and get to the information off of the disc. It's the same way with two different drives with two different interfaces, so it's gotta be a Vista problem, right?

What can I do?

UPDATE: I've found that if I insert a disc, then kill and restart the explorer.exe process, the disc will usually read. I have no idea why that works, but it does.

SwiftImmortal_1, Apr 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. SwiftImmortal_1

SwiftImmortal_1

well geez don't everyone answer at once or anything:angry:

SwiftImmortal_1, May 8, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question