High dwm.exe memory usage!

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by radioheadfreak, Jul 23, 2007.

1. radioheadfreak

radioheadfreak

Hello. I have Windows Vista Ultimate on a Dual Core, 2 GB RAM system.

My problem is that dwm.exe - that Aero thing, takes way too much memory - usually always between 60 - 70 MB. I have 2 GB RAM and still with no windows open the usage of RAM is around 45 %.

On other computers I have seen the usage for dwm.exe to be around 25 MB or something. Even more but definately not 60 MB.

My experience index is 3.9 (Graphics lowest)

Please help...

radioheadfreak, Jul 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. radioheadfreak

cyclic

I don't see it as a problem, the problem arises if you need to open programs to do things on your PC and you have no memory available, the point of having say 2Gb of ram is to allow the system plenty of resource to run all it's whistles and bells without disrupting yourpotential to actually use the machine for whatever tasks you are doing.

I have 2Gb ram and run resource hungry 3D games and apps, I still have aero and sidebar enabled and my ram usage has never peaked above 1.5Gb so there's still plenty to spare.

You can use the resource monitoring tools in the MMC to keep a history of how much ram is used over a period and you'll see the 45% being used 'standing still' isn't a problem if you're total usage only ever peaks at say 70%.

cyclic, Jul 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. radioheadfreak

AmericanNightmare

First of all here,here cyclic! Vista actually is using that memory you mistakenly think is being wasted as opposed to whatXP did with it,your question should be why did previous versions of Windows waste so much memory?

Just to reinforce what was said before me i run a slow as sh** 1.5G of DDR400 underclocked on top of everything b/c of my high FSB and my machine is overall much more responsive and efficient than it ever was with XP if your looking for the "snap" well keep looking but for overallperformance in everyday tasks and beyond Vista should be more efficient for you. If it's not then you mayhave a problem with the hardware it's installed on not the OS.

AmericanNightmare, Jul 23, 2007
  4. radioheadfreak

radioheadfreak

My question was that is it normal for dwm.exe to take up somuch memory?

Then why is it that my friends computer has 24 MB usage of dwm.exe?

Please elaborate.

5. radioheadfreak

AmericanNightmare

OK that does seem a bit excessive as my sytem uses maybe a fraction of that to run the sidebar. The point still stands that this should not a concern if you have 2G of RAM unless you are running very demanding applications but if it troubles you that much increasethe size of your paging file as a rule it should be in my experience 2 to 3 times the size of your availible RAM assuming you have a adequately speedy HDD. (7200rpms or so)

6. radioheadfreak

Jason

Vista knows what it is doing, so if it's using 60mb on your system it's probably doing it for a good reason. Possibly a low gpu speed in which case it is keeping more gui cache in memory ??

I don't know how much mine uses but I can almost guarantee you it's around there. It seems w/ slow video cards generally dwm takes more ram. (I'm at work otherwise I would check my vista machine)

Jason, Jul 23, 2007
  7. radioheadfreak

radioheadfreak

Thank you for your reply.

So I guess there is no solution. and yes i havea 7200 RPM SATA hard disk.

8. radioheadfreak

kingofnexus

I have 2 gigs of memory, and it uses 55% on idle. Am i worried? no. Programs I use often load up faster, and If i start doing something which needs to use alot of RAM, it takes all but a few milliseconds for vista to ditch something in the ram to allow for more space. You want vista to use your ram. Its completely normal.

kingofnexus, Jul 23, 2007
  9. radioheadfreak

AmericanNightmare

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=9 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR id=ctl03_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl18_trRow2><TD class=TableCell_Light id=ctl03_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl18_tdPostCell3 vAlign=top width="24%" nowarp=""></TD><TD class=TableCell_Light id=ctl03_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl18_tdPostCell4 vAlign=top width="76%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top>Thank you for your reply.

So I guess there is no solution. and yes i havea 7200 RPM SATA hard disk.

===
    Don't Get Sentimental, It Always Ends Up Drivel </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I don't think your getting it it's not a big deal! In fact you should be happy your OS is actually using your RAM!

There can't be a solution to something that is not a problem!

10. radioheadfreak

Cherubin

I peaked 1.7 Gb with Vista.

On XP, when I open the same program, with same utilization,I peaked 1Gb.

Cherubin, Jul 24, 2007
  11. radioheadfreak

cyclic

Perhaps there is no solution because there isn't a problem, had it been a problem the simple answer would be to turn it off, but nothing will start any faster or work more efficiently you'll just use less ram on idle, personally I don't see the point of trimming the system back to 'basic' to save something of which you have more than enough, perhaps it's my age.

cyclic, Jul 24, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question