Hi - Windows vista update failure

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by skrg19, Jan 25, 2008.

1. skrg19

skrg19

All,

i've have Dell laptop inspiron 1520 with windows vista O/S. whenever the windows update runs it's installing all the updates successfuly except one update which is "Update for windows vista (KB943302)" it's been trying install since 8th Jan'08.

kindly help me here.

can anyone suggest me which Anti-Virus i can use that supports windows vista. i've been using the trial version from symentec web site. (Norton Anti virus)

skrg19, Jan 25, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. skrg19

WAW8

There have been reports that this update "breaks" windows update, so I would wait until another update gets present and see if Windows Update still works. If it does, just ignore this one; if it doesn't, see the pinned post in the forum about repairing Windows update.

As to AV products, I quit using Symantec some time back when NIS simply took over the machine and slowed it nearly to a halt. Have been using WebRoot products, and more recently, ESET products. I'm sure other users have their favorites as well.

Practically any of the well-known AV vendors have Vista versions nowadays.

WAW8, Jan 26, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. skrg19

skrg19

thanks a lot for the info. let me wait for next update and see if it fixes.

can you tell me which AV is the best one or good one for vista version so that i can try to but that. as you know the market has so many AV.

skrg19, Jan 26, 2008
  4. skrg19

WAW8

OK -- but this is only my "personal" experience; I'm not speaking for the Forum.

I have used and dropped the following:

1) Symantec -- took over the machine, brought it nearly to a halt, uninstall didn't work, had to download "clean" routing from Symantec to remove it. Speaks to really crappy programming when you have to run a special utility to remove a product. Second major problem was false "positives" detected when plugging in external drives and/or USB sticks. Tried to grant Exceptions, but as soon as I removed the plugged device, the Exception vanished and the SW wiped files before I could reset it.

2) WebRoot -- worked well but forced enormous delays in startup. Ended up disabling autostart -- but then, would often forget to turn it on later. Defeats the purpose of real-time protection when you forget to turn it on <G>.

I now use ESET NOD 32. Has the following plusses:

1) Doesn't introduce delays on startup. There is an occasional delay when it updates its AV defs, but that's only a few seconds.

2) Exceptions "stick". Can define all the exceptions I want and ESET remembers them so that my USB sticks don't get wiped when inserted.

3) Lots of runtime options. Latest version comes with lots of options.

4) Don't have to deal with Live Update anymore -- which has been rumoured to cause problems in Vista.

5) Price is reasonable: 3-license version only costs $80 locally. I think that's cheaper than NIS 2008, but I'm not sure.

But, as I said, your mileage may vary and everyone has their own reasons for choosing one AV product over another. I've heard Kaspersky AV is quite good.

WAW8, Jan 28, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question