Hi Guys, desperate to find a working browser

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by KBL, Mar 29, 2018.

1. KBL

KBL

Having restored an old Vista 32 bit maachine for a friend and updating as much as possible, the only thing that I can't find that works is a broswer. Tried all the main ones.
    What do you all use?

KBL, Mar 29, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. KBL

RJH

I've got Firefox working on several WinXP 32 bit virtual machines, as well as one machine with XP Pro running on metal. It works fine. Will it not run for you?

RJH, Apr 3, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. KBL

KBL

Nothing would work and that was after Vista was all updated SP2.
    Ended up going for a windows 7 install instead. Working well now.

KBL, Apr 4, 2018
  4. KBL

mike shupp

Firefox works up to a point -- that being Firefox Version 52.4.0 ESR, which I think is about 6 months old and might continue to work reasonable well for another 6 months. I.e., they're going to cut the support off at some time. I think regular Firefox is up to version 59 these days.

There's a takeoff version of Firefox called Palemoon, which is also said to work on Vista; it's currently up to Version 27.8.3 or so, and you can probably search it out with Google or something similar. I can't speak of it from personal experience; I still keep IE 9 around and switch between it and Firefox as mood strikes me. (The problem is, it's old and some websites won't accept visits from people using IE9, but I've got web browsing reflexes based on it.)

mike shupp, Apr 19, 2018
  5. KBL

Jody Thornton

Jody Thornton, Apr 19, 2018
  6. KBL

JohnJaxon

Hi,
    Comodo IceDragon and SeaMonkey are supported on Vista, but unfortunately SeaMonkey is ending support for Vista after Version 2.49.X.

JohnJaxon, Apr 19, 2018
  7. KBL

Longhorn2007

Use Pale Moon. It runs great, has a 32bit option and EOL for Vista hasn't been announced for it irc.

Longhorn2007, Apr 22, 2018
  8. KBL

Jody Thornton

However, Vista will be unsupported as of v28, so I would suggest using New Moon when that happens. New Moon is a modified build of Pale Moon by Roytam1 over at MSFN. He also has compiled a Vista-compatible build of Basilisk.

Jody Thornton, Apr 24, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question