hey everyone im back, i got something i would like to ask.

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by MiKe0589, Oct 31, 2007.

1. MiKe0589

MiKe0589

well about 30-40 days ago i got my new computer, and seeing that the ram is soooo cheap for it, i would like to ask something. from what i have been told, vista can see just 3-3.5GB of ram, is this true, if so can it still use the full 4 GB?

thanks

mike.

MiKe0589, Oct 31, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. MiKe0589

cyclic

That's pure theory the 4Gb you also need to take into account Video memory and ram allocated to a few other resources so the realistic maximum useable ram is anywhere between 2.5 and 3.5 Gb. So as a rule of thumb 4GB minus the address space required by addin cards and other hardware equals the MAXIMUM addressable Vista RAM (32bit).

In reality installing 4Gb makes sure you get to use the max Vista can the rest just sits there and has no effect, just for info after 3Gb any extra would have no impact (discernable) on performance, as you said ram is so cheap now it's not a bad idea to stick 4Gb in so you do at least get the most you can out of it, there isn't much point in working out the finer detail of how much Vista can address on your system to find it's say 3.3Gb for which you would have to install 4Gb anyway.............if you follow me.

cyclic, Oct 31, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. MiKe0589

WAW8

Be advised that motherboards also carry limitations on the amount of RAM they can see. I use an ASUS MB, and although it allows the installation of 4GB, it can only see about 3.5GB of that. This is a known limitation that has been reported on the ASUS forum countless times.

So, even though Vista may be able to see all the RAM you install, you need to ensure that the MB also allows all of that to be used.

WAW8, Oct 31, 2007
  4. MiKe0589

MiKe0589

i think i get what you guys are saying, just because its so cheap and they only sell it as two 1 GB sticks, il just get the ram. :hehe:

thanks again. :)

MiKe0589, Oct 31, 2007
  5. MiKe0589

MiKe0589

well i got the ram, and vista shows it as a little under 3GB, i have not tryed a game yet, so im not sure if it will even help, if not i may take it back.

MiKe0589, Nov 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question