Help with buying a laptop?

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by Miranda_Allen, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Miranda_Allen

Miranda_Allen

I've been considering buying a laptop to use for word processing work, but everything I've read about Vista has me scared - everyone seems to have problems, and since I'm absolutely not technically inclined, I wonder if I could fix any problems that I might have. And now walmart has a couple of laptops on sale - I don't know if they are good buys or if I should steer clear of the sales and look at Dell or some other brand. Does Vista even come with a word processing program?

Walmart is advertising two for sale:

Compaq presario c581wm which has the following specs:

Intel Celeron processor 530, 120 GB hard drive, 1024 MB Ram, reads and writes dvds and has Windows Vista Basic.

Toshiba Satellite A215-s7416 which has:

amd athlon 64X2 TK53 processor, 120 GB hard drive, 2048 MB ram, reads and writes cds and dvds and has windows Vista Basic.

I know the importance of ram. I bought a Compaq desktop at walmart a couple of years ago and it would take about a half an hour to load when I turned it on because I didn't have enough ram. I think it only came with 256 MB and my desktop runs Windows XP. So, before I spend a lot of money, I would really appreciate some advice about Vista and what kind of laptop would work for me. I don't play games or download stuff from the web (I have a dial up connection), so this would be a basic word processing, maybe dvd playing tool for me.

Thanks for any help.

Miranda_Allen, Nov 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Miranda_Allen

cyclic

To be blunt forget anything with a Celery CPU even the improved variety are still way under powered and I don't like Compaq either, this from years of personal experience with desktop PC's but I don't see an reason why they should be any less crap at laptop making !

Toshiba for me please.:) added info, found a description on Toshiba's site it comes with MS Works which is more than enough of a suite of tools for anyone, Word Processor, spresdsheets, databases etc, and Works documents are all fully compatible with it's big brother MS Office so you can read 'Word' docs and other stuff sent to you in the most popular format, and picture capture and editing software and allsorts of other goodies for DVD creating and burning,which I feel sure will leave you wanting for nothing from your description of what you will use it for.

cyclic, Nov 29, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Miranda_Allen

MrMagic

I have a Toshiba laptop, about 2 years old, still running XP Pro but I've found it to be a VERY reliable and well built machine. It runs XP perfectly and I've zero problems with it since the day I bought it. Of what you listed, Toshiba is IMHO the only way to go.

I recently bought a new HP laptop running Vista Home Premium. A dual core cpu and 2gb of mem and its a little sweetheart. Runs Vista Home without a hiccup.

If experience is any teacher, Toshiba and HP and my picks for laptops no matter what OS you are running.

Steve

MrMagic, Nov 29, 2007
  4. Miranda_Allen

Miranda_Allen

Thanks for all of your advice. I really appreciate it.

Miranda_Allen, Nov 29, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question