Help with accessing files on an external XP disk - authority problem ?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by myk3, Jan 23, 2008.

1. myk3

myk3

This is the story. My friends oldhad a fatal hardware problem that was not practical to fix so he bought a new laptop. The old laptop had XP on it and the new one has Vista. He then obtained from MS's site a Vista utility to restore XP backups, this seems to run OK but leaves much of his user space inaccessible and things don't work (program installs, etc.) so he had the new laptop reloaded to the new condition.

So rather than restoring the backups we pulled the drive from the old machine and put it in an external USB connected container and plugged it into the new Vista laptop. Now we can see the directories that contain his data but can't view the content (largely photographs and similar personal data). I am guessing that it is some sort of authority problem that is preventing him from retrieving the files. Is there some procedure that he can follow that can be used to make the files accessible? He has admin authority on the new machine (it is his personally owned machine not a company owned one).

Any advise or suggestions to recover the data would be very greatly appreciated.

M.

BTW, his feeling is that using the MS backup program was a very bad move since when it came to the crunch and he wanted to recover his backed up files it did not recover them in a way that he could access them.

myk3, Jan 23, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. myk3

WAW8

You've got several problems here.

First, my guess is that the Vista utility was the Migration Assistant that "moves" user accounts from an XP machine to a Vista machine. Problem is, if you are using the same account name on both machines, what it might have done is overwritten your Vista account with your XP account settings, including registry settings. However, that is the correct tool to be used to migrate accounts across machines, so I'm at a loss to explain why it corrupted your Vista setup.

Second, even though you may have only one account on the Vista box, you're NOT the default Administrator. I've pinned a post on how to unhide the "real" Admin account. Follow those instructions and log back in as the Administrator.

After then, since you will effectively have full permissions, you should be able to take ownership of any files you want.

WAW8, Jan 23, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. myk3

myk3

Thanks for the reply WAW8.

We went through the steps to turn on the Administrator id, the first set seemed to indicate that it went ok but did not seem to do anything. That is there is still no Administrator id to log on with. The second set of steps did not work -- t<SPAN id=ctl03_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl05_lblFullMessage>here was no "Local Security Policy applet" and a search for secpol.msc revealed, "No Items matching your search". </SPAN>

<SPAN></SPAN>Is there maybe something that we need to do in order to have the admin id show up, it could very well be enabled right now but just not visible to us?

M

myk3, Jan 26, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question