HELP! - Windows Vista HP Error Recovery - Hard Drive Backup Required

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by marcino_lopez, May 16, 2012.

1. marcino_lopez

marcino_lopez

LAPTOP: Toshiba Sattellite P300-172
    MODEL NUMBER: PSPC4E
    OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows Vista Home Premium (Pre-installed)

Hi guys,

I've just recently encourtered a problem with my 'Toshiba Sattellite P300-172' laptop, to which I am now not able to do anything on it. (I'm no IT/Computer expert, nor a novice).

I was working without any problems, and went away for about 10 mins, and when I returned the laptop had frozen - I couldn't move or do anything. So I had to press and hold down the power button to turn off. I restarted the laptop, however, each time I am now presented with the following screen:

--------------------------
    BLACK SCREEN WITH (WINDOWS ERROR RECOVERY)
    Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

If windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly, startup Repaire can help diagnose and fix the problem. If power was interrupted during startup, choose start windows normally.
    (Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice.)

Launch Startup Repair (Recommended)
    Start Windows Normally

Seconds until the highlighted choice will be selected automatically: 17
    Description: Fix problems that are preventing Windows from starting

I select the 'Launch Startup Repair (Recommended)' option, to which brings up a pop-up box:

'Systems Recovery Options' stating "The installed program cannot start. Click OK to turn off the computer."

This happens every single time, in the same sequence.

I have tried entering 'Safe Mode', but it doesn't allow me to, but loops around again with the same stages as outlined above.

My main questions are,

1) Can the system be restored without formatting it?
    2) Can the Factory Restore Disc be used to repair the Windows operating system without deleteing my important files on the computer?
    3) If the Factory Restore Disc cannot be used to repair Windows, would a true Windows Home Premium Disc work?
    4) If non of the above are possible, are there any other methods at all that can possibly be performed to enable me to back up my important files on my computer so they are not lost or deleted?

I gratefully appreciate all your help and support, as the files on my laptop are of huge importance and value and I do require to at least back up if at all possible.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Mark

marcino_lopez, May 16, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. marcino_lopez

ClarkTNTien

Hi Mark,

I have many years in the computer field. I went to College for Computer Science and I never graduated. However, I was short 1 credit from obtaining my Associates Degree in Liberal Arts and Computer Science. In any case, in my personal life, I have a lot of experiences restoring many different types of computers over the years. All together, I must have spent 8 years in the computer industry one way or another. Anyways, not all of my credits are on the job related. Most comes from home-schooling through being self-taught. So, I am nobody if you want a technical perspective. However, if you do not want to spend the money on a professional, then I would suggest the quickest route that will always work every time.. Please try to never shut the computer off using the power button. I know it is hard because my own computer hangs sometimes and there is no way around it. You just need a backup discs. It is very important that you make a restore disc after you first get your computer. If your files are very important to you, you can do a hard drive removal and clone it. The software way of installing is always risky because you might write over what is there. Microsoft Windows usually is pretty good at this if you do not erase anything and just let it install a new Windows on there. Just do not format it. Once Windows is installed, then you will have two sections. There is an old section where your old installation is. This is where your important files are located. You just have to look for it.

ClarkTNTien, May 19, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question