HELP: Vista doesnt connect to Net but XP Does???!!!

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by jagjeetpradeep, Feb 15, 2007.

1. jagjeetpradeep

jagjeetpradeep

<P class="insert-margin ks-question-answer-container">I installed Windows Vista Ultimate (x86) 32bit today after having beta 2 installed for quite some time.

IThe problem Im facing with Vista NOW is that Im getting this message about "limited connectivity" for my network. Apparently Vista's idea of "limited" is no connectivity. I have this installed on my home computer. I dual boot between XP and Vista. XP connects to my home router and gets an IP address, but Vista can't even ping the router. If I try to ping the router from the command line in Vista all I get is: "transmit failed error code 1231." I have compared my network settings on XP and Vista and they are identical (automatically obtain IP address, DHCP, etc).

My NIC is on the motherboard. It is a ULi5263. Vista automatically installed a driver for it, but just in case I tried the Vista beta driver from the motherboard manufacturer and I even tried using the XP driver (that's what I used with beta 2). No Change!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanx in advance

jagjeetpradeep, Feb 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. jagjeetpradeep

Crispy

Go over the settings again and try different configurations of those settings. The way that vista looks at a network is slightly different then xp and some times it wont connect to a network because there is a setting that it dose not like.

Crispy

Crispy, Feb 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. jagjeetpradeep

jagjeetpradeep

Tried combinations... nothing works. :( I had no problems till Beta2.. what now???

jagjeetpradeep, Feb 15, 2007
  4. jagjeetpradeep

VistaRocks

Hope this helps.

VistaRocks, Feb 16, 2007
  5. jagjeetpradeep

jagjeetpradeep

Hmm.. thats the same issue... but this seems to be only for Wireless Connections... either way.. no work around yet.. Thanx 4 d update

jagjeetpradeep, Feb 16, 2007
  6. jagjeetpradeep

kingofnexus

Edit: Nvm was a stupid post.

kingofnexus, Feb 16, 2007
  7. jagjeetpradeep

Antrax

Hi,

have you tried this first....

1 Firewall disabled?

2 Ping the loopback address, 127.0.0.1

let me know please.....:)

Antrax, Feb 16, 2007
  8. jagjeetpradeep

jagjeetpradeep

Ping is successful when done on 127.0.0.1

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time&lt;1ms TTL=128

However, do it on an address eg. Yahoo.com &amp; it says host not found

Do it on an IP Address eg. 192.168.1.1 (The router's IP) or any other.. and it says

PING: transmit failed, error code 1231.

jagjeetpradeep, Feb 17, 2007
  9. jagjeetpradeep

Antrax

ok, so127.0.0.1 replied means your network adapter is working.

What router do you have?

do a "ipconfig" at a command prompt and see what ip addy you have. If its a 169 address it auto configured because its not getting an IP from your router

Also you say its set to automatic configuration, you could try to set it manually, with say 192.168.1.5 as your IP addy and 192.168.1.1 as the default gateway.If you try this make sure its the TCP/IP IPV4 you set, not the IPV6!

let me know how you get on...:)

by the way ping, error 1231=The network location cannot be reached.

Antrax, Feb 17, 2007
  10. jagjeetpradeep

WAW8

Try this in Vista:

Control Panel --> Network and Sharing Center --> View computers and devices

Should get a list with Residential Gateway Device at the top. That's your router.

Double-click the Residential Gateway Device, click the Network Device tab

Should get device details, like (in my case):

Device Details

- Manufacturer: Linksys Inc.

- Model: XXXXXXX

- Model number: <firmware version>

Troubleshooting Information:

- MAC address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

- IP address: nnn.nnn.n.n

If your router is working, presuming you have DHCP assigned IP addressing turned on, your computer IP should be the same first three sets of numbers (known as "octets") as the router. Find your computer IP by opening a command window and typing IPCONFIG /all. If the first three don't match, your computer is not being assigned an IP address by your router, thus, it's not being used to obtain a DNS.

WAW8, Feb 17, 2007
  11. jagjeetpradeep

skoduser

I have the exact same problem.

I tried setting the ip and gateway manually and almost immediately I could ping the gateway (my router). Then I switched back to automatic configuration and now this worked too.

skoduser, Feb 26, 2007
  12. jagjeetpradeep

isheng

Hi Skoduser,

I have the exact same problem, and tried to fix it by setting the id and gateway manually, but I still didn't see the new ip when did ipconfig / All. What and how did you change? In the command prompt I saw "Autoconfiguration Enable" and the value forit is "Yes".Did you change this value and how did you do it?

Appreciate any input.

isheng, Mar 9, 2007
  13. jagjeetpradeep

WAW8

Antrax:

In this guy's case, I know there have been problems reported with Vista not being able to use certain models of Linksys routers. I had to change some settings on my Linksys during beta testing to get it to work with Vista. But RTM and now, the release version, fixed all that. Still, it would be nice to know if he ever got it working.

Don't you just love it when you go to the trouble to post detailed advice -- and weeks later, they don't even have the decency to reply??

WAW8, Mar 10, 2007
  14. jagjeetpradeep

foana

In response to the above, i have had the same issues, under Vista Business x86 for a primary school i administer. Each system had an ASUS P5VDC-MX with a Rhine II Fast Ethernet adapter onboard. What we noticed was that after a shutdown you couldnt ping anywhere, other than yourself being 127.0.0.1, hence there must be something wrong with the network controller communication.

In the Network and Sharing Center, open the "view status" for whatever network controller is being used, now open properties, accept uac if enabled, now you want to 'configure' ur controller.

Under the advanced tab, change the 'speed and duplex' to "10 BaseT Full duplex" (tried all higher speeds to no avail) and shut down, restart, and you should notice you are instantly connected!

As a note i also found that if you were to take out and replug back in the network cable connectivity was reestablished, this was being the above measures were used.

PB. this is a VIA ethernet adapter, i can only hope this works on other chipsets.

foana.

foana, Apr 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question