HELP!...Vista crashes with IDE hard drive...

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by drka0tic, Jun 29, 2006.

1. drka0tic

drka0tic

Hey guys,

I installed the Beta 2 and am having a weird issue. When I 1st booted, I got a BSOD at the stage where the small gray bar is showing to be loading. The system rebooted before I could read the error.

I was able to boot into safe mode. I installed all the missing drivers and rebooted. Once again, the system restarted itself at the loading Windows stage. This time no blue screen.

I disconnected my IDE drive which is on the Primary IDE 0 channel and kept my 400GB SATA drive which has the OS on it. Please note this is not a multi-boot, I only have Vista on the drive.

Without the IDE drive present, the system booted into Vista perfectly. I've been running two days with no errors or crashes. But as soon as I reconnect the IDE drive, the system wont boot into Vista normally

I tried all I can think of and searched Google and other vista forums high and low. Any ideas for a solution.

If I cant figure anything out, I may have to buy an IDE to SATA adapter and connect it to one of the empty SATA ports.

tia

drka0tic, Jun 29, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. drka0tic

pa1916

Try putting the jumper to slave and see what happens bit of a shot in the dark here.

pa1916, Jun 29, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. drka0tic

Jason

What kind of chipset does your motherboard have? Upgrading the IDE driver/main board drivers may help, or searching for vista drivers. Post up the chipset and Ill try to help find some.

Jason, Jun 29, 2006
  4. drka0tic

drka0tic

My chipset is the NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra. I tried to look for Vista IDE drivers, but was unsuccessful.

I'll try to play around with the drive's jumper settings tonight.

thanx

drka0tic, Jun 29, 2006
  5. drka0tic

drka0tic

When I switched it to the slave position, I was able to get into Windows, but the PC restarts itself while loading the services.

I'm getting closer...

thanks.

drka0tic, Jun 30, 2006
  6. drka0tic

Rexignis

Could be that your IDE drive's starting to die.

Rexignis, Jul 1, 2006
  7. drka0tic

drka0tic

I figured it out. Somehow my IDE hard drive had a small 7MB active partition at the beginning of the drive. I deleted it and BLAMM!, I booted up perfectly into Vista with my 2 drives :D

Thanks for your help guys.

drka0tic, Jul 2, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question