Help! USB Hard Drive created extra ghost drives that won't remove!

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Devan, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Devan

Devan

My computer here was started up with a USB external Hard Drive attached, and now whenever I start the computer (without the external drive), 4 additional "Removable disk" drives appear.

I have tried removing them 'safely'

I have tried removing them through the device manager.

I have tried removing the Generic Storage Volumes, generic storage volume shadow copies (and there are lots) the USB controller...everything I could find from the manager in relation to it...

...but every time I start the machine back up, it reinstalls the storage volumes as if there were something permanently attached to my computer.

I read elsewhere that starting up with a USB hard disc attached does this, creating confusion for the BIOS which thinks it has additional hard discs.

Is there any way to make them go away forever?

I have tried loading up my boot disc in hopes of formatting my computer clean and starting aknew, but once the setup files are loaded it auto-blue in lieu of its detection of these faulty ghost drives, telling me to remove additional drives and run CHKDSK /F

(unfortunately my Vista won't let me run CHKDSK /F ...it instead tells me I need "elevation" )

Anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Thanks,

Devan

Devan, Oct 26, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Devan

MafiaLord91

Do you have any memory card slots on your computer? If you have memory card slots then they might show up as additional drives.

MafiaLord91, Oct 26, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Devan

Devan

No. I don't have memory card slots I'm afraid.

These extra drives just started showing up recently as a result of using the external hard drive.

Devan, Oct 26, 2008
  4. Devan

VistaRocks

In the "Start Search" box type CMD.
    Do NOT hit ENTER. Instead hit CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER. You will be prompted by the UAC warning window. Click on CTRL+C or click on the "Continue" button.

You will then be able to run CHKDSK /F

VistaRocks, Oct 28, 2008
  5. Devan

Devan

Thanks VistaGoddess,

I got the following after using your method of acquiring "elevation" (really buggered as to why that's required at all...but regardless) and got the following message:

The type of file system is NTFS.

Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <Y/N> y

This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts.

>>>>>>>I then shut down the computer and rebooted<<<<<<<<<

It ran the chkdsk without any apparent issues and then booted up windows...

This issue seems to separated from my C:drive itself and still seems to be a problem with the BIOS believing it has extra mounted drives left-over from whatever it did when the USB Hard Drive was plugged in.

Does anyone know how to remedy this issue?

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

-Devan

Devan, Oct 29, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question