Help needed:Its urgent: System recovery disc failed

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by arindambag, May 27, 2008.

1. arindambag

arindambag

Hi Guys,

I have HP compaq presario 6211AU which came preinstalled with WIndows vista basic, I created a recovery dvd for that

Recently my windows crashed andI formatted everything including the drive containing recovery portion and deleted all the partitions. Now when I was trying to recover using my system recovery DVD, its saying that this PC is not supported to run this system recovery disc.

Can anybody please help me out of this and tell what to do now and how to do it.

Is there any other way by which I can run my recovery disc?

Waiting for ur responses in anticipation

Thanx in advance

arindambag, May 27, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. arindambag

WAW8

Unfortunately, the generic term "recovery" disk/DVD can mean just about anything these days. The typical procedure for using one is to boot your machine from the disk and follow the directions for "restoring" your machine. In some cases, the media are robust and complete enough that they can really rebuild the entire contents of the machine's hard drive. I recently did this for an HP MCE box, and although the rebuild took over 8 hours, when done, the machine was factory-new (in terms of content). However, I was able to do that because I had the actual installation medium that I had obtained directly from HP. The recovery DVD that I made did not do a complete restore.

In other cases, the recovery disk is little more than a boot disk that reads the content of compressed image(s) in a hidden partition on the hard drive and rebuilds the OS partition from those images. If this is what your recovery disk is intended to do, when you wiped out the partitions, you effectively erased the compressed image(s) needed for rebuilding your installation.

But, I'm saying "if" because I don't know "how" that recovery DVD is supposed to work. It may be that, like the disks I used, it really is supposed to rebuild your entire drive -- and it just didn't work right.

Your best bet, for starters, is to contact HP and find out what the disk was supposed to do. If the disk is faulty, you may be able to obtain a recovery disk from HP that will work.

WAW8, May 28, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question