HELP forgot admin password.......

Discussion in 'Main Lounge' started by blondie_dag, Nov 11, 2007.

1. blondie_dag

blondie_dag

Hello All

First I feel a little foolish. We bought the comp 8 mths ago of craigslist, for my boys. I am happy with the computer and vista, however after 3mth removal of the computer time, I have forgotten the admin password. I did not get back up disks or create one.

My question is HOW DO I RETRVIVE MY PASSWORD WITH NO BACKUP DISK.

I would be grateful for any help, it sucks being locked out of your own computer and EMBRESSING.

Hoping someone can help

blondie_dag vancouver canada:blush:

blondie_dag, Nov 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. blondie_dag

cyclic

When you create a password you were also asked a question to help you remember it, so if you put a wrong password in you should be asked if you want help, answer yes and you'll be given that word\question to help you remember.

cyclic, Nov 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. blondie_dag

chrisscorsese88

Is there any other account you can log into? Even limited? If so, go into that and unlock the "actual" admin account, and change the password of the one you're locked out. I'll give further instructions on how to do it if you do have another account you can log into.

chrisscorsese88, Nov 11, 2007
  4. blondie_dag

cyclic

Erm, no not really only an Admin can change an admin password or create and change admins, getting into a restricted accounted wont get around the admin problem, unless he's written it in a file somewhere. If it was that easy there would be no point having an admin level account.

cyclic, Nov 12, 2007
  5. blondie_dag

chrisscorsese88

Oh sorry, I actually didn't realize you still need an admin password to unlock the actual admin account.

chrisscorsese88, Nov 12, 2007
  6. blondie_dag

Jason

Vista won't allow you to do such things in a limited account, hence the word "limited" you will need to elevate to unlock the admin account. Which he can't do so back to square one. I'd say your best bet is to try some third party software to crack/recover/reset your password. This stuff seems to do what you want, it says you can reset/change passwords of any local account and it works for Vista.

I can't say if it will work for sure or not but it seems likely, its only $40 for the basic addition:

http://www.elcomsoft.com/esr.html?r1=Openwall

Jason, Nov 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question