HELP - DESKTOP ICONS DISAPPEAR!!!

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Lewis, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Lewis

Lewis

Hello everyone. This is obviously my first post so please, be gentle.

I recently purchased my first laptop running Vista (not an option). I produce music and as many of you musician/producers already know, Vista is extremely too buggy to run all xP compatible music apps w/out a hitch. Nonetheless, I bought the Sony Vaio out of PC necessity with Vista installed. I also work on a G5 Mac running OS X [flawless].

From the beginning, I have never been able to restart this laptop nor shut it down successfully. It's all about holding down the power button with me. But that's another issue.

The problem I'm having now is driving me nuts. When Vista loads, and I click on a Folder on my desktop to open, the folder opens, progress circle spins, the window is white, allows me to see the folder contents for 2 seconds, then all of my desktop icons disappear and load up again. This will happen every time I attempt to open a folder either on my desktop or from start menu. I just can't. Desktop icons and toolbar disappear, then come back, to disappear again when I click.

HELP!

I've ran RegCure, Spybot, SuperAntispyware, CCleaner and ATF cleaner in safemode. Sure, they've picked up all sorts of your registry, spyware and 'harmful' detections you'll find. I've cleaned the suspect files and reboot. Still, same problem. What's goin on?

I have a Sony Vaio, 2ghz/2gb dual core laptop. It's pretty cool but I'm just so fed up with these Vista issues.

The other problem is that I purchased this computer @ PC Richards and the computer did not come with a back up Vista disk in case I wanted to re-install or fix my computer with it. What do I do now?

All my peers tell me to downgrade to XP. I'd love to but even that is an issue. For now, I just want to have Vista working normally so that I can resume working on it.

Anyone's help will be greatly appreciated. And I apologize if someone has already posted a similar issue. I just couldn't find it.

Lewis :)

----

Ok, I've rebooted again, now when I click on any folder on my desktop, everything except the wallpaper disappears (icons and toolbar) indefinitely. Ahhh.

Help me please.

Lewis, Feb 7, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Lewis

WAW8

What has this to do with Vista downloads?

Please post your requests for technical support in the right forum.

I'm leaving this here so you see it the next time you login. But I'll be moving this there sometimg over the next couple of days.

WAW8, Feb 7, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Lewis

Lewis

I obviously didn't notice I posted in the wrong category. I apologize. Well, you can delete this message. I just did a clean install of Vista. Let's see how far it'll take me.

Lewis, Feb 8, 2008
  4. Lewis

WAW8

Have heard more than the typical number of complaints from Sony laptop owners. So, maybe there are some generic problems with the machines that Sony configures.

There is a "pinned" post I put in the Installation & Upgrades forum about how to burn a Vista recovery CD to use when your machine didn't come with a Vista DVD.

Your original post said you've been having problems since the beginning, so while a reinstall MIGHT fix it, I doubt it will. You'll see a bunch of "pinned" posts in this forum that deal with troubleshooting various problems. Maybe those will help.

WAW8, Feb 8, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question