help - customize classic menu

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by shmengie, Sep 22, 2007.

1. shmengie

shmengie

i like to use the classic menu. i'm also sort of a neat freak. in xp, i used to create my own folders in c:\documents and settings\me\start menu such as appearance, hardware, media, graphics, etc. i would then drag stuff like photoshop and my itunes to these folder and have a small, clean, nested menu system.

i think i'm close to figuring this out in vista, but maybe it's not possible. first, i unchecked 'hide protected operating system files.' once done, you can see the 'all users' folder under 'users.' i then took ownership of the 'start menu' folder and gave myself full control. but, when i try to get in, i get a 'not accessible' dialog.

also after showing protected files, you can see a 'documents and settings' folder, which is also inaccessible. so...

anyone have any advise for me? surely this must be doable, yes?

thx!

edit: i forgot to mention. i know that i have a tiny bit of control of this stuff via the 'advanced' button in classic menu properties. i need more! always more...

shmengie, Sep 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. shmengie

shmengie

okay, i found it. i still have a tiny bit of searching to do cuz not everything is there. but, here's where you need to go, if you're interested:

c:\program data\microsoft\windows\start menu

it's kind of a uac hell, so you'll prolly wanna disable that first. but, that's where it is. here's a pic of how my start menu looks, if you care.

shmengie, Sep 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question